1988 85 hp starting issues

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok like the title says I just got this prob
when starting the motor it turns over real slow like it has not enough power to turn over the motor, affter some trys the starter turns over fast enough to start the motor
. the conections are tight the batt is fully charged no lose wires that i could find. Before this all started I noticed that once and a while the solinode woud not engage. do you guys think it might be the solinode or something else.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1988 85 hp starting issues

Yes the solenoid can burn in places on the inside and not make good contact all the time. Try jumping the solenoid. If the starter works normally then, replace it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Remove the plugs and do a compression test.
Low compression will make it hard to turn over.
Then look at the starter.It might have a date on the side.It might need to be cleaned if it's original.J

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys
I'll do that the comp. is 120 on all 3 cly starter is prety new 2 months old.

Jiggz

Captain

The starter jumper mentioned by bhile will most likely tell you to replace your solenoid. However, there are two ways to jumper a starter, one is by "jumpering" on the two solenoid contacts (eliminates the solenoid only as the faulty component) and the other is straight to the pos side of the battery (eliminates both cable from battery and solenoid as the faulty components). And then there are also two positions when "jumpering" straight to the battery, positive side only or both pos and neg straight to the starter (eliminates a faulty ground or "earth").