7.5 seahorse re-coil start

superspark

Cadet
Anyone have any tips for fitting the cord around the drum. I have rewound the spring
14 turns and held it in position. Now I cannot get the cord to go the first turn around
the drum and into the slot. So many things seem to prevent its progress.:(

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 7.5 seahorse re-coil starter

What motor?

superspark

Cadet

Hi Chris. Its a 7.5 1980 seahorse twin.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the vertical type of Manual Starters such as the 9.5hp and later 4.5/6/8hp models etc)
(J. Reeves)

1 - Have a pair of vice grips handy set so that they will grab the top of the starter spindle tightly but will not damage it.

2 - Using a large screwdriver inserted into the top of the starter spindle, wind the starter in a counter clockwise direction 12 to 14 turns, stopping so that the cord locking slot is facing the away from the engine.

3 - Lock the spindle in that position with the vice grips, letting the vice grips lay against the flywheel.

4 - Insert the cord as needed and make sure it is retained properly at that slot.

5 - Feed the cord out the starter cord hole at the front of the engine and attach the handle.

6 - Grip the cord tightly so that the spindle cannot spin around rapidly, then release the vice grips.

7 - Allow the cord to be withdrawn slowly around the spindle.

superspark

Cadet
Re: 7.5 seahorse re-coil start

Hi Joe, Thanks for that. Holding the drum with vice grips seems like a great idea. I still have the problem of getting the cord
around the back of the drum however. Maybe I will remove the vertical bar at the back which guides the cord . Hope fully this will make it easier.
Thanks again for your advice.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 7.5 seahorse re-coil start

Removing that vertical bar is a bad idea!