Stator Wire Corroded on a 1976 Mercury 115 Inline....

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, had a quick question.

I rewired my 76 Merc 115 TOP with a new/used harness I had purchased. When rewiring it I noticed the two wires that come down from the stator had some obvious corrosion on them. So I started to peel back the crusty plastic sheathing on it. Come to find out, they are corroded way up the wires......

Any easy way to fix them? Can i just cut them high and put new wires on it? Or do i have to buy a new stator?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stator Wire Corroded on a 1976 Mercury 115 Inline....

FYI~ I replaced the internal harness. This is when I noticed this....

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just had the same issue with mine. Insulation was cracking off the wires (yellow wires to rectifier were the worst), and it extended all the way up to where the wires entered the stator at the bottom.
I was forced to replace the stator as there was no good section of wire with insulation to splice and solder on to.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If you are very careful about it, you may slide a length of heat shrink tubing over the wire, shrink it and possibly slide a second coating over the first.

Heat shrink isn't that expensive and very well may save the cost of a new stator for quite a while yet.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just had the same issue with mine. Insulation was cracking off the wires (yellow wires to rectifier were the worst), and it extended all the way up to where the wires entered the stator at the bottom.
I was forced to replace the stator as there was no good section of wire with insulation to splice and solder on to.

Thats what Im trying to avoid.... Was it a pain to replace? Ive never done one.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are very careful about it, you may slide a length of heat shrink tubing over the wire, shrink it and possibly slide a second coating over the first.

Heat shrink isn't that expensive and very well may save the cost of a new stator for quite a while yet.

Should I remove the stator to do this?

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very easy. Just a matter of taking off the flywheel (had to borrow a puller) and unhooking the wires. Reverse and your good to go.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very easy. Just a matter of taking off the flywheel (had to borrow a puller) and unhooking the wires. Reverse and your good to go.
Got a tip on a puller to get? Is it like a steering wheel puller? Or a jaw puller? I nevermind buying new tools. :)

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I borrowed mine from a friend. It is a Mercury puller, and has threads that screw into the flywheel and a center shaft that you screw down. I hit it with the air impact so I didn't have to use a flywheel holder. Popped right off. Crank is keyed and flywheel was machined to fit, so there is no issue getting it back on in the same place it came off. Checked timing before I fired it up, and it was right on and had not changed.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I borrowed mine from a friend. It is a Mercury puller, and has threads that screw into the flywheel and a center shaft that you screw down. I hit it with the air impact so I didn't have to use a flywheel holder. Popped right off. Crank is keyed and flywheel was machined to fit, so there is no issue getting it back on in the same place it came off. Checked timing before I fired it up, and it was right on and had not changed.
Thanks for the tip. Im going to look about getting what.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That stator can be removed with a wrench and an allen wrench. Set the motor to Top Dead Center. Remove the eight 5/16" bolts that ring the flywheel bolt. Now remove the outer flywheel. You will now see the 4 allen screws that hold the stator.

Use some blue locktight on the bolts when reinstaling. Since you have left the motor at TDC, the outer flywheel will be easy to install correctly, right?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

That stator can be removed with a wrench and an allen wrench. Set the motor to Top Dead Center. Remove the eight 5/16" bolts that ring the flywheel bolt. Now remove the outer flywheel. You will now see the 4 allen screws that hold the stator.

Use some blue locktight on the bolts when reinstaling. Since you have left the motor at TDC, the outer flywheel will be easy to install correctly, right?
Sounds alot better than buying a puller...... Thanks

emckelvy

Commander

If you accomplish your task by undoing the center hub bolts as suggested, be sure to torque them to around 24-25 ft-lbs upon reinstallation (in addition to the use of Loctite).

HTH.........ed

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I removed it just as you said and here is what it looks like... I dont know if its possible to save it anymore?

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums...2 18SS Sidewinder/Dec2011185.jpg?t=1325877864
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums...2 18SS Sidewinder/Dec2011184.jpg?t=1325877864

What ya think? Is there any hope to it?