"runaway" 150

kwt600

Seaman
Hi guys. I have an 02 150 ocean pro that is trying to run away when started in the driveway. It starts and jumps up to about 4500 rpm, but i CAN shut it off with the key. i checked all the mechanical things like the butterflys, all hoses for air leaks. I'm starting to lean towards something electrical but don't have a clue where to start. A few months ago it ran fine... so hopefully someone has an idea .

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: "runaway" 150

Yea, it sounds like something somewhere is in the wide open position. :eek:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is this on the muffs or in a barrel?

Those big motors can be very dangerous when/if they do decide to run away on you.

Turning the key off wont help. Pulling the fuel line wont be quick enough. Best thing to do is cover the intake on the carb with a rag quickly.

Was any work recently performed on it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Timing advance linkage disconnected/stuck advanced?

kwt600

Seaman

Ok. Timing advance is fine, no work done recently. It was rebuilt last winter and ran fine all summer. It was on muffs, but I always run it on them before and after each trip with no previous problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If this is a carbed model you could have an OSI sensor that is going bad.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Next time I will say the timing sensor or the EET, aka: elecrtric eye thing.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am wondering how it can rev that high with the butteflys closed!!!! unless the butterflys are stuck open to begin with.....

if the timing was advanced that far.... seems like it would be super hard to start....

I hope to learn somethign here.......

I dont know how the eye could be at fault....

I had a frozen throttle cable the other day.

and i couldnt get across the river in the dark..so i took the cover off and i pulled on the butterfly linkage to the carbs... that got me to maybe 2000 rpms max....then it would fall on its face... then I reached back and pulled on the timing advance.... and got about 1500 rpms before the motor would fall on its face.... but if i pulled on both at the same time, I could go much faster!!!!

not sure how that helps you, but lets just call it raw information...and i have an ocean runner as well with the optical sensor ignition

BOB

kwt600

Seaman

Thank you boobie. It was the optical eye. Swapped it out with one I had on a spare motor and she ran great in the drive on the muffs. The one I took out looked dirty..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Those eyes in the EET can sometimes get "crossed" and cause this problem. Glad to hear you got it fixed.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

in answer to "Bob Johnson" an outboard (and other equipment) can indeed suffer runaway with fully closed butterflies, think what happens to your mower when it runs out of fuel, it revs up like crazy for a second or two! well runaway is exactly that, an extreme lean burn that cannot be contolled, even by turning the key off, the only way to stop it is choke off the air, and unless you have all the air box assy removed this is impossibe (well nearly) and I can tell you, once you have had a runaway, you will remember it for a very long time, trust me.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Try putting it's image on a milk carton. :D