Is replacing the floor actually essential?

NEStriper

Seaman
Some of you may have seen my other thread, but I'm the new owner of a 1977 GW (Which, I believe, is Grady White... however, I'll post a picture of the decal). The guy I bought it from wanted a lighter boat as this one took 6mpg off his car and was searching for an aluminum boat, and had only had this one for less than a year. The guy before him had the floor "redone" by putting a piece of plywood over the shot floor, and carpet over that.

My plan right now is to move enough of the carpet to get part of this plywood up, then go through the floor to look at the stringers. If they seem okay, can I leave it as-is for next season?

I am not opposed to fixing it, however if it can be safely put off I could wait for a better time sometime in the summer. I would assume outdoor New England winter work is not ideal.

Here are the pics from the other thread. I'll put up more detailed ones of the interior and visible damage tomorrow when I have light.

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is replacing the floor actually essential?

Stringers play a major role in the structural integrity of the boat as well as the deck and transom. They all work in unison to make a solid structure. If the stringers are bad and you encounter a lot of wakes it could cause major flexing of the hull. I would highly recommend that you check them out and replace them if they are rotten. Core sample the transom too!

NEStriper

Seaman

If rotten, definitely. I am planning on core sampling the transom, I have to fill some holes from the transducer he just took off anyway.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

X2 what woodonglass said. The sole adds to the structural integrity of the boat. Even if the stringers are good, if the sole is rotten the boat will likely flex more than it is designed too. Excessive flex can lead to separation of other structural pieces. Is is possible for you to have a safe summer without repair? Maybe, Maybe not. It certainly would not be worth it if something goes wrong at speed and the boat sinks or even worse someone gets hurt. Best advise, Fix it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I suspect you will find rotten stringers, waterlogged foam, and probably a rotten transom. I also think the previous owner bad gas mileage was from towing this boat "heavy" with waterlogged everything below deck.

Fiberglass boats have a tendency to rot from the inside out and when the decking goes everything below it is usually gone too. The previous owner didn't do your boat any favors by just covering up the rot.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I suspect you will find rotten stringers, waterlogged foam, and probably a rotten transom. I also think the previous owner bad gas mileage was from towing this boat "heavy" with waterlogged everything below deck.

Fiberglass boats have a tendency to rot from the inside out and when the decking goes everything below it is usually gone too. The previous owner didn't do your boat any favors by just covering up the rot.

yeah.......unfortunately.....throwing a chunck of wood over a rot deck will comdem a boat in 2 or three seasons.

I think you will find everything in the post above true.....all of it is rot :(

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

replace all the rot. rot = cancer.
rot = compromised boat structure
boat structure = safety.