Gelcoat faded!!

weaz14

Cadet
Got my first boat 89 2150 Bayliner 5.8 omc I/O and love it so does my 2yr old!!!

Got the boat for a steal and is in great cond. except for the sun got to it I guess and it's faded like heck I started buffing (buffed the one side 3x) it with power buffer and compound took the fade off it pretty well but just can't get her to really shine and get more of the fade off it! I like doing things myself and so is there anyway good way to get the color back out of it or is that all I can pretty much do!

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Gelcoat faded!!

Use a good gel coat compound or gel coat restore compound and do it by hand. Keep it wet while compounding. When you do it by hand, you can feel the surface better and really work the compound. You will know when it is right because the compounding will get easier. Once done, use a good wax like woodys, starbright, 3m etc. to buff and shine.

Sounds like to me you may need a good wet sanding with 1000 grit paper if the compound doesn't get it. Keep the paper wet when sanding. It will look dull until you wax coat it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

HI......welcome to iboats !

what compound are you using?....and what buffer?

speed is important to a good job...compounds usually ask for 1850- 2200 rpm !

cheers
oops

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The chief mechanic at the marina where I stored my previous boat told me its easy, get a buffer, and have at it. So, I bought and orbital polisher and got some compound from West Marine. Then I went to the marina where they had put the boat on blocks for me. I sterted working and the mechanic came out. He said tge good news is you're working on the boat. The bad news is you bought the wrong buffer. Lol

Anyway, he loaned me a buffer, the right compound, and showed me how to use it. It did work great and the boat looked like new. It did take me three 8 hour days (30') but was worth it.

tommays

Admiral

A tool like the 9227c can be found a good price with everything you need but compound and the variable speed allows a inexperienced person to work at a LOW RPM and not burn the gelcoat [h=1]Makita 7" 9227C Buffer Polisher Sander Kit 9227cx3[/h]

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many people here purchase a harbor freight or northern tool branded polisher which works great. I agree the Makita or Milwaukee are better quality but the cheaper ones are fine since you are not doing a commercial business.

weaz14

Cadet
Using a meguiars mirror glaze #85 heavy cut compound and the buffer was my buddies so not sure what rpm's it was but seems like you guys are saying a high rpm buffer if your careful

chriscraft254

Commander

Wet sanding will make it look new again if properly done. Start with no more than 600 grit, then work your way up to 1000 grit, 1200, grit and maybe 1500 grit. Compounding does the same thing but alot slower because it is more like a 2500 to 3000 grit. Apply whatever wax you chose after wet sanding.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

The bad news is you bought the wrong buffer. Lol

Anyway, he loaned me a buffer, the right compound, and showed me how to use it. It did work great and the boat looked like new. It did take me three 8 hour days (30') but was worth it.

Yeppers !!! those little car toys don't do half the job a lambs wool and a real tool will do.

A tool like the 9227c can be found a good price with everything you need but compound and the variable speed allows a inexperienced person to work at a LOW RPM and not burn the gelcoat [h=1]Makita 7" 9227C Buffer Polisher Sander Kit 9227cx3[/h]

I run the big makita......the thing is a real work horse.......however...bob says.....

Many people here purchase a harbor freight or northern tool branded polisher which works great. I agree the Makita or Milwaukee are better quality but the cheaper ones are fine since you are not doing a commercial business.

and he is correct.......nothing wrong with the HF sander/polishers......just get a vary speed one.

Wet sanding will make it look new again if properly done. Start with no more than 600 grit, then work your way up to 1000 grit, 1200, grit and maybe 1500 grit. Compounding does the same thing but alot slower because it is more like a 2500 to 3000 grit. Apply whatever wax you chose after wet sanding.

wet sanding, or re surfacing the gellcoat......is a real last ditch effort.... if not done correctly, a blotchy finish will result.....but time, elbow grease, and lots of wet paper will work...