fuel filters???

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
can i install a in-line fuel filter like you see on lawnmowers between my tank and bubble or bubble and outboard???

will it need to be lower than the tank so the chamber part stays full of gas at all times?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: fuel filters???

What kind of motor? If you have the need for a fuel filter, you're tank may be in need of a thorough cleaning. There typically is a filter inside at the fuel pick up and in the fuel pump of the motor now.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its a 2003 johnson 15 hp

i want to put a filter on it because its a older looking tank and lines

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe consider a Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separator type canister filter($27) mounted on inside of transom.... great preventive maintenance item to help avoid water/contaminated fuel problems....unscrew it and dump it every now and then, screw it back on and you're good to go!...new replacement canister(looks like an oil filter) is $8. Good Luck!:)

kfa4303

Banned

Hi all duck'd up. Sure, you can put an in-line fuel filter in. I've done it to all my motors, including my current '66 20 hp. Most folks usually install them between the fuel pump and the carb, but I've also seen them on the fuel line that leads into the fuel pump. I just get the 1/4" in-line filters available at most auto parts store, or here on iboats, for about $3-5. All you have to do is make one cut in the fuel line and install the filter (a tiny bit of spit, or vaseline on the tips of the filter helps them slide into the fuel line) Be sure to use a couple of hose clamps to secure the fuel line on either end too. They usually look something like this:

http://www.iboats.com/Inline-Fuel-F...7167175--**********.287964932--view_id.171706

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replys! i need to replace the fuel line anyways so i will get cracking on this tonight.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

because i would run a filter on my electric blower if i could just for a little extra insurance and peace of mind

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I like this style: For a few reasons. They're finer filtration than the screen in the tank. If for some reason the motor quits, they tell you at a glance if it's a fuel issue or not. And they're easy to clean.

That's our need for a third filter. Not to be insubordinate ...

Attachments

• FuelFilter.jpg
    FuelFilter.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like this style: For a few reasons. They're finer filtration than the screen in the tank. If for some reason the motor quits, they tell you at a glance if it's a fuel issue or not. And they're easy to clean.

That's our need for a third filter. Not to be insubordinate ...

yes thats what i want something i can see threw. how would you clean it tho???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, if you have a clean fuel tank, you wouldn't have any issue, but to each his own ;)

V153

Lieutenant Commander

yes thats what i want something i can see threw. how would you clean it tho???
Hmm ... that's a good question. Now where did I put those instructions. Tbh it's been awhile but if'n I member correctly you just hang a wrench on either end cap & unscrew?

Attwood may make something similar but I believe this one's a 'SeaChoice' part. I'll see if I can dig up some info.