2WD + Limited Slip Differential Enough for Pulling?

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is really an informational/hypothetical thread because it will probably never happen. But I was thinking about what I could do to replace my sports car and my pickup with a single vehicle. There is a modern day El Camino made in Australia, that GM is rumored to be thinking about importing to the US. These rumors have been ongoing for years, so it's probably never going to happen. But it got me thinking...

This car (truck?) comes with an LSD. Not a locking differential, just an LSD. It is also rear wheel drive. I've had cars with LSDs (RX-8) but never a truck. I'm wondering how an LSD would do at a boat ramp?
I'm pretty sure a rear wheel drive truckcar with an LSD would actually work for me, but also keep in mind my boat is small (15'), and I tow with an S10 now that never has any tire slip when I'm extracting my boat, and I never put it in 4WD. And the ramp is always wet. (and it has a fully open diff) Based on that experience. I think my boat on my regular ramp with this car (that I'm probably never going to get) would be fine. But what about an unimproved ramp? Or maybe a steeper ramp. Or when the boat fairy comes along and leaves a new bigger 20' craft under my pillow?

It's funny, this el camino is actually a prefect combination of my current V6 camaro, and my current S10 pickup. It's such a good blending, it really makes you think that it might be a good vehicle to consider, if they did ever start selling them here.
I suppose a link is in order:
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute/sv6

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2WD + Limited Slip Differential Enough for Pulling?

Lots of variables here, I'm guessing its a unibody so you may struggle getting a good tow weight with it. It will probably have P rated tyres. Power and traction should be ok. I pull a 21' cuddy with my old C10 half ton truck no problems (open rear end but thinking about positrac) Unimproved/Steeper ramp possibly 4x4.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I've boated for about 50 years. Never had anything until this current truck had it installed when I bought it.....part of it's TT package. Only on a couple of occasions did I have any tire spin and that was on small thin seams of algae that accumulated on the ramps of constant level lakes. Rolling back a foot and getting a running start cured that.

I don't boat in mountain lakes nor in the winter when the weather is bad. Those two considerations would make one reconsider.

Mark

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Lots of variables here, I'm guessing its a unibody so you may struggle getting a good tow weight with it.

+1... The original El camino's were really bad tow vehicles for that exact reason. Trucks aren't exactly heavy on the back end, but el caminos were far, far worse. Neighbor used to have one for a smallish bayliner. When we unloaded, the driver couldn't get out of the vehicle, if he let his foot off the brake the thing would slide straight backwards. (in other words, the back tires didn't even have enough force by themselves to hold it in park. Its amazing the thing could actually pull a boat out)

So... with that said, you may need some sand bags in the back when you are using it for boat duty.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a 2WD LSD to tow a 25' Sportcraft inboard with no highway or ramp problems - but it is an F250.

Wecanoe

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, have I got the rig for you! I bought an extended cab Chevy Colorado from the company auction a year ago, and man, was that a nice vehicle! It was a work truck, so no frills at all, but the 4cyl was peppy -- even with an automatic, and it came with an LSD rear end. Of course, coming from northern Minnesota, it was also 4wd. I bet you'd really be happy with the 4-door model and a V-6. I bought it because I was getting my Jeep TJ repainted and the rusty frame replaced, which took a while. Glad to have the Jeep back, but I miss that truck. Besides a good LSD rear diff, the other thing that is often overlooked is tires. Street tires are great for the street, but you'd be better served with a semi-off road tire like the BFG All-Terrain. A lot of the ramps I go to are not well developed and are often sandy. But because I have a good rear LSD, I rarely put it in 4wd. Also remember, just because it says max load rating at 45 psi does not mean you shouls run that kind of pressure all the time. In something like a Colorado (S-10), 30 psi is more than enough unless you're carrying a heavy load.

cyclops2

Banned

4 wheels ALWAYS beats 2 wheels.
That said.
Wet, slimy , spaced apart ramp bars, at steep angles , 1 ramp bar missing, dirt bag ahead of you spining his wheels & throwing round pebbles all over the ramp.................. You could EASILY BE SCREWED.

NEVER EVER back off the ramp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You will not usually get a better running start...........As your exhaust goes under & the trunk temporarly floats some of the cars weight. Reducing the traction you did have. Staying off the ramp long enough, CAN start water flowing in to the spare tire storage area if any rubber plugs are missing.

Do not go there.

Buy a 2 wheel / 4 wheel drive car or truck. Your best shot at bad ramps. Also. Carry a 20' length of towing rope / strap to attach to someone ahead of you. Funny how helpfull a 4 wheeler can be when HE WANTS to use the ramp also. :)

cyclops2

Banned

Edit Take your new tower to the dealer & ask the Service Dept. where & how to tie to the big eyebolt under the car as a pulling point. You should need a 4" to 6" shackle or clevise to do the hookup correct. The 4 wheeler will just pull as hard as possible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hey, have I got the rig for you! I bought an extended cab Chevy Colorado from the company auction a year ago, and man, was that a nice vehicle! It was a work truck, so no frills at all, but the 4cyl was peppy -- even with an automatic, and it came with an LSD rear end. Of course, coming from northern Minnesota, it was also 4wd. I bet you'd really be happy with the 4-door model and a V-6. I bought it because I was getting my Jeep TJ repainted and the rusty frame replaced, which took a while. Glad to have the Jeep back, but I miss that truck. Besides a good LSD rear diff, the other thing that is often overlooked is tires. Street tires are great for the street, but you'd be better served with a semi-off road tire like the BFG All-Terrain. A lot of the ramps I go to are not well developed and are often sandy. But because I have a good rear LSD, I rarely put it in 4wd. Also remember, just because it says max load rating at 45 psi does not mean you shouls run that kind of pressure all the time. In something like a Colorado (S-10), 30 psi is more than enough unless you're carrying a heavy load.

Colorado's are not availabler with a V6. 4 cylinder and a 5 cylinder. You can now get a V8 in the GMC version (The Canyon) -- not sure about the Colorado. The in-line 6 and the V8 were available in the Trail Blazer.

l008com

If I'm going to continue to have a separate truck to pull the boat with, it's never going to be a nice truck, it's always going to be a beater. But if I could get by with one vehicle that was half camaro, half s10.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

But if I could get by with one vehicle that was half camaro, half s10.....

That is pretty much exactly what I drive! Subaru wrx... Turbo charged, goes like crazy,300+ hp and 330 torque, one of the best AWD systems out, and decent ground clearance. Only drawback is that the newer ones don't have a decent hitch mounting point.

l008com

The half of the S10 I'd be looking for in a car is the bed for cargo, and decent towing capacity. The only thing the WRX and S10 have in common is 4wd. 4wd (or awd) is the last thing I want on my daily driver. Which is what this whole thread is about. That 'el camino' car with it's limited slip, probably puts down as much tractive effort as my S10 does in 4wd mode, with a pair of open differentials.

cyclops2

Banned

ANY pick up with style. Needs SEVERAL HUNDREDS of pounds put right over the rear axle. That does NOT shift around. We used to do that all the time at almost level ramps. More than 1 time, the 1.5" diameter rope helped it out.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You answered your question in the your post. You've never had slip and never used 4WD on the ramps you use. What you never use you don't need. The LSD will help a lot.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use a dodge 1500, 2wd LSD. for a 19' open bow. and the ramps i use are steep gravel ones. i've never had a problem, but i've seen people with open diff's just tear up the gravel (bunch of morons).

i did get stuck in a hole one time but just re launched the boat and got her out. Personally i would rather have LSD or Locking diff over AWD.

just my 2 cents.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is pretty much exactly what I drive! Subaru wrx... Turbo charged, goes like crazy,300+ hp and 330 torque, one of the best AWD systems out, and decent ground clearance. Only drawback is that the newer ones don't have a decent hitch mounting point.

Subaru does not supply trailer hitches for all models. The factory hitch is a class 1, 1 1/4" (1.25"). 2" hitch is not available from the factory.

Subaru doesn't supply hitches for the sedans or recommend towing and so it is not suggested or recommended and there is no offficial approval. Warranty could be affected by any towing.
Any automatic should be able to tow 1-2000 pounds, with trailer brakes. A trans cooler is always a good idea.
2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 automatic trans 2000lbs manual 1000lbs
2001, 2000, 1999, 1998 1997, 1996 1500#

Note: trailers must have brakes, without brakes lower the capacity below to half or less.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Guys. Stop and think a minute. he's got a 15' boat. Anything will work. Discussion about pulling 20' boats, or whether there is weight over the axle, is comparing chalk and cheese.

When I was in Australia many years ago, the Holden, made by GM, was a very solid car, favored in the outback and other rough terrain where 4wd wasn't necessary. Kinda like how people like a SUV even though they never use 4wd.

If it's still made like our big old station wagons were, with real frames, they's be great for towing. Ours were, also our sedans, even with LSD. But if they are now made like our new station wagons are, maybe not.

cyclops2

Banned

You are right about 15' of Aluminum.
But the last sentences bring up a 20' boat from the tooth fairy.:)

l008com

My current boat is not aluminum, fyi. And I actually have no idea how much it weighs. I'd love to find a scale somewhere I could 'borrow'

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember the Dodge Ram? think it was SRT10, had the V10 from the viper.