Gunwhale reinforcement

lfreng

Seaman
Is it best to weld in the reinforcement or have it riveted in? Boat is a 1977 Lund S-18. (Aluminum)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gunwhale reinforcement

It all depends on what you plan to do and access to the area. I just bolted a couple of supports on my tinny to strengthen the gunwhale so I could mount downriggers.

Is this a welded or reevited boat?

lfreng

Seaman

It all depends on what you plan to do and access to the area. I just bolted a couple of supports on my tinny to strengthen the gunwhale so I could mount downriggers.

Is this a welded or reevited boat?

The rest of the boat is riveted. One side will have a side steering console and the other will have storage locker and live well running down it. I can build that stuff around the supports.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd rivet it to match the rest of the boat. Rivets are easier to work with, unless you're a welder.

lfreng

Seaman

I'd rivet it to match the rest of the boat. Rivets are easier to work with, unless you're a welder.

Yeah rivets would probably be easier but my thought is to buy some c-channel or sq tube aluminum stock and cut it to fit the profile of the gunwhale curve. That would leave me with a very difficult brace to rivet due to lack of tabs to rivet the boat and brace together. I think I can find an aluminum welder around here to weld it together. I could also weld the braces to the aluminum floor substructure for added stabilty.