online school

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: online school

lol.....right here......

buy and old ob ........and tear it apart the guys here can guide you to a proper assembly

angler00

Seaman

just looking for something to give me the basic's
and how to trouble shoot a problem.. been looking for a motor to start taking apart..

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

just looking for something to give me the basic's
and how to trouble shoot a problem.. been looking for a motor to start taking apart..

Pretty general statement... There are LOTS of different types of outboards. Yeah, they are all somewhat similar, but some are vastly more complicated than others. A modern EFI 4 stroke will have almost no similarity whatsoever to a 60's vintage chrysler 2 stroke. I'm not going to say repairing older outboards is easier either, as parts availability for older engines is always an issue. You might have what looks like a perfectly rebuildable engine, but the lack of a $1 part means you junk it or sell it off for parts.

angler00

Seaman

Pretty general statement... There are LOTS of different types of outboards. Yeah, they are all somewhat similar, but some are vastly more complicated than others. A modern EFI 4 stroke will have almost no similarity whatsoever to a 60's vintage chrysler 2 stroke. I'm not going to say repairing older outboards is easier either, as parts availability for older engines is always an issue. You might have what looks like a perfectly rebuildable engine, but the lack of a $1 part means you junk it or sell it off for parts.

so do I start with a motor from 80's 90's or 00's.. I have always tried fixing everything myself before taking it to be fixed..
but never delt with an OB..
just getting into this and check different dealers on their labor rates
WOW

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most OMC Factory Service manuals have a good introductory section that explains a lot of basics, Angler.

I suggest that you acquire a 50s-60s small JohnnyRude and the factory Service Manual. Our guys here have more experience and expertise than you can find anywhere else in the universe, and they love to help and teach. They will make you an expert.

Then you can move on/up to other types.

Good luck. :)

NOTE: Typed while ezmobee was posting :facepalm:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest you head to the library or do an on-line search for these two topics. Do #1 first and #2 second.

1) Two Stroke (or two cycle) engine theory
2) Four Stroke (or four cycle) engine theory

Until you understand how these two technologies work you will not be able to do any effective troubleshooting. The difference between these is night and day -- four stroke being like the engine in your car. Two strokes were used in snowmobiles, lawn mower, weed trimmers, chain saws and yes outboards.

Once you have that mastered, you then head back to the library or search for carburetion theory.

1) Carburetor theory
2) Fuel Injection theory

You simply cannot troubleshoot, repair and tune "any" outboard unless you have the factory specifications for the motor you are working on. You can do a lot of damage to any engine using the wrong disassembly, assembly, and tuning procedures. Think about this scenario. You want to learn so you buy an engine cheap but you know it has a hole in one piston. You disassemble the engine, replace the piston and rings, and the engine seems to run nicely. Except one week later the engine dies and you discover the piston you replaced has a hole in it again. The lesson here is you need to diagnose WHY the first piston developed a hole. Since you didn't fix the original problem (very likely a carburetion issue) you get to do the job over again. There simply is no shortcut to education. If there was an on-line school for outboard repair I would not be proud to hang the diploma on the wall.

nwcove

Admiral

another good start would be to pick up a few basic tools, compression tester, spark tester, multi meter, and a couple of torque wrenches, inch lbs, and ft lbs. as mentioned in other posts start with a vintage omc, they are easy to work on and will give you the basics......learn to walk before you run!