1989 Black Max 150 Lower unit wont go back in

ccd1606

Recruit
I pulled my lower unit to change the water pump, now the unit will not go back on. When i look up inside the mid section it looks like something is in front of where the driveshaft goes into the engine. Idk how else to describe it other than it looks like something slide towards the lower side of the housing and is blocking the drive shaft from going in. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Re: 1989 Black Max 150 Lower unit wont go back in

I would take a broom handle and stick it up the midsection. I have seen carbon deposits bad enough to make it tough to put back on. If the stick has black crud on it may take some finaggling.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like the driveshaft carrier thats pressed in the end of crank. They do come off fairly regular and if its metal and looks like a old coke bottle cap with hole on middle, that what it is. The way you repair it is to remove powerhead and reinstall/press and loctite in place.

ccd1606

Recruit

Thanks for the replies, it looks like a small washer i was able to move it into place with a straightened coat hanger. After it was moved i was able to get the unit to go in more, now im just having a tough time lining up the splines. Next day i have available i may try putting it in gear so i can spin the prop and move the shaft. When i try moving the flywheel it seems like it moves to much at one time to line up.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That the driveshaft seal carrier,its purpose is to keep water out of splines on crankshaft. Johnrude uses a groove & o-ring for this purpose but Merc uses the crankshaft carrier and slinger on top of water pump as water will climb the driveshaft when in operation. If your in salt or brackish water repair it or the next time you replace impeller the unit wont come off!!!!

ccd1606

Recruit

I only fish in fresh water, will i be alright? or should i remove the power head? Seems like a lot of work.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

How long you plan on keeping the motor?