trolling motor question

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello and happy holidays to all.

I plan on buyinng a new trolling motor for my 24' pontoon, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing a 12 volt one, not positive yet, my use for it will be trolling the shorelines for fishing. I am asking for your input on the wireless foot control vs the wired control I was looking at the motorguide with builtin lowrance transducer-W55 and I was looking at the minn-kota 55 powerdrive V2 any and all help will be very helpfull I hope this thread helps me make up my mind.
thank you
Jack

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor question

I've used MinnKotas on four of my last five boats, including a V2 on my pontoon, and none of them have ever given a bit of problem. While wireless may suit your needs and work well for you, I avoid them simply due to the fact that there is more to go wrong and something else to keep a stock of batteries for.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Over the years I have had several different types of TMs. I will never stray from Minnkotas again.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have the Motorguide w55 and love it, you clip the hand control to your pants and can run the boat from anywhere, it is sweet.

Mine is on my fihing boat but was intended for a pontoon and unless somthing has changed a 55 is the biggest you get in 12v and I would absolutely get a seperate battery for it, runnig that off the starting battery might leave you with a nasty suprise when you go to start the boat.

Even before I added my second house battery it never ran the battery dead except the one time my engine wouldn't start and I had to troll a mile and a half upstream to the launch but even that was after a complete night of fishing.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you for your input, will the 55 lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor move the 24' pontoon ok?

fishingene

Cadet

I realize you are in Pa. Hi how are you?
I have a 70 pound thrust Minn-Kota 24 volt that i took off my boat. 2 years old. Has a Lowrance transducer still attached. it is wired with a long cable. I am interested in selling if you are interested in buying? I took it off my boat because i fish rivers mainly and needed more power.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a 16' aluminum v hull loaded and the Motorguide will pull it 3 mph with no wind or current so it shoudl do fine on your toon.

I highly reccomend the hand held remote too, it allows you to run the boat from anywhere, I have the foot pedal also but never use it because the hand held is so easy to use and you aren't tied to one spot on deck.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have it boiled down to two 12 volt systems, frist is minn-kota powerdrive V2 with co-pilot 55 lb , or the motorguide w55 with remote, 48 or 54 inch shaft, what would you recomend? out of these two
thanks Jack

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just one more consideration with the wireless remotes. While they are convenient for operation anywhere in the boat, it does take one hand to operate the control If you are a serious fisherman you need both hands for fishing. Your feet are extra appendages that can be used for boat control -- simultaneously with fishing so the wireless or corded foot pedal should still be considered. It all depends on what you do with the troller. 55# thrust on a 24 footer is going to provide limited performance and control in very windy conditions. Remember, a pontoon has a ton of vertical surface area for wind to act against. Again, you need to determine how and where you operate the boat and under what weather and water conditions. Anything bigger than 55# requires two batteries wired in series for 24 volt operation.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the Minn-Kota 40 on my 20ft toon and it worked very well, plenty of power. The 55 should be good for you.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you everyone for your comments and input
Jack

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have decided to get the minn-kota power v with co-pilot 55 lb thrust 12 volt. when income tax return comes. thanks for all the replies anjd comments
Jack

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

55# thrust on a 24 footer is going to provide limited performance and control in very windy conditions...
There's probably a thread around here where someone is suggesting the use of drift socks for certain conditions to offset that wind problem. It's not as fast as using a bigger trolling motor but for people in areas that are fairly windy this is a great thing to have on the boat.

Drift socks: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...53l2169l0l2355l10l7l0l0l0l0l229l975l0.6.1l7l0