Need help on prop selection

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fixing to pull the trigger next week on a Tohatsu 20hp and they offer props 6-10 in pitch. Boat is a 15/42 flatbottom that fully loaded weighs in around 700lbs. I am much more concerned with top speed than holeshot but don't want to be lugging the motor badly.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help on prop selection

This kind of prop selection is a gamble at best.
You should have a tach to tell the wot rpm.Without tach there is no way to know if rpm is within range.

If your dealing with a dealer they should help you select props till you find the right one.
Is this a new motor?2stroke,4stroke?Assuming a new 4 stroke with a 2.15 ratio it appears to me that a 7" pitch is about right.
Your resulting rpm will determine the final result.

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a new 4 stroke off the internet so that is why I am looking for recommendations. At $50 a prop experimenting is not that bad but would rather be close to begin with. I live in a fairly large city in West Tn and unfortunately where we once had three large boat dealers the economy here has taken them all out over the last three years. The nearest Tohatsu servicer is 70 miles away in Memphis. I do have a Merc dealer 30 miles away and am somewhat considering going to console steering with a Merc of the same size. It would have to be dealer installed so if I go that route prop selection wouldn't be a problem. Decisions, decisions:-(

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Why go with a console it just takes up space,adds weight and adds complication.

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have several physical issues that sometimes make tiller steering very painful. It is a small chance of going that direction mainly because of the huge increase in cost ($1500) over the tiller Tohatsu once console, steering, higher price for Merc, etc are considered.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could do a stick steer with either motor; as I understand it there is no consol required.