Stereo Upgrade

wesjones

Recruit
So I want to upgrade the stereo in my 27 Stamas...heres what I have and heres what I want to do.

Current: Jensen MCD5112 Stereo CD/mp3/am-fm single output, 4 speakers.

I want to use the same stereo, replace the 4 speakers, wire in an amp and a sub.

I have a basic idea of how to wire this, but am up in the air on some things. I have twin outboards, nav, radar, fish finder, vhf.....there are 3 batteries, so i assume theres one for each motor setup and one for accesories. Any reccomendations on whether i need to add a 4th battery? Anyone have a good link to a wiring diagram or a project story with photos?

Any help or guidance as to what to buy or how to do this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-wes

fucawi

Banned
Re: Stereo Upgrade

before you go to sea or anywhere you could need a rescue you need to get more knowledge about your boat, its motors and the wiring ...best thing you can do with any stereo on a boat is throw it over the side and keep the world quiet.

tpenfield

Staff member

So I want to upgrade the stereo in my 27 Stamas...heres what I have and heres what I want to do.

Current: Jensen MCD5112 Stereo CD/mp3/am-fm single output, 4 speakers.

I want to use the same stereo, replace the 4 speakers, wire in an amp and a sub.

I have a basic idea of how to wire this, but am up in the air on some things. I have twin outboards, nav, radar, fish finder, vhf.....there are 3 batteries, so i assume theres one for each motor setup and one for accesories. Any reccomendations on whether i need to add a 4th battery? Anyone have a good link to a wiring diagram or a project story with photos?

Any help or guidance as to what to buy or how to do this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-wes

Silverbullet, who frequents this site as well as www.boatingabc.com did an extensive upgrade of his stereo system. You could check out some of his threads. Based on your question about the batteries, I would tend to agree with fucawi's post. You should get to know the electrical set up better, else this could get messy. You'll need to tap into the electrical system for more power to run the new amps, etc.

Nice boat BTW. I'm trying to get my hands on a 270 Express (WA).

jeepginn

Recruit

before you go to sea or anywhere you could need a rescue you need to get more knowledge about your boat, its motors and the wiring ...best thing you can do with any stereo on a boat is throw it over the side and keep the world quiet.

Wow....Dont hold back there...tell us how you relly feel.:facepalm:

mherndon

Seaman Apprentice

WOW! Apparently, you don't like to listen to a stereo on a boat!

hhhhmmmm....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

...best thing you can do with any stereo on a boat is throw it over the side and keep the world quiet.
We should throw fucawi over the side and keep iboats quiet.

halfmoa

Ensign

Um, I think the mods have already done that. Take a look at his "rank."

I'd have to agree with that decision...

In regards to the OP's question, it's not the amount of batteries you need to be concerned with inasmuch as their ability to recharge said batteries unless you're dedicating one (or two or three) deep cell to the stereo and recharging it when you get home.