2001 yamaha 40 slow start issues

Shamu_InUrLake

Recruit
I have a 40hp 4stroke yamaha outboard I am working on and it seems to take a while before it starts to fire up. I twist the key and the starter activates but it doesn't want to start for the first 5 or 6 attempts. I was thinking about the auto-choke, I think it works by pushing in the key, but how do you test that? What else could cause a slow start?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2001 yamaha 40 slow start issues

Always best to give the model # so we can know what motor you are writing about,

Most of these newer motors have a prime start system that enriches the fuel mix at cold start up and then while motor runs the charging system send power to the heater which closes off the enrichment.
I would have to think your enrichment system is plugging up or the carbs are in need of cleaning.
probably both need to be cleaned out and readjusted.

how long of a turn of the key do you use per start attempt and do you leave the fast idle lever down while starting?

Shamu_InUrLake

Recruit

Always best to give the model # so we can know what motor you are writing about,

Most of these newer motors have a prime start system that enriches the fuel mix at cold start up and then while motor runs the charging system send power to the heater which closes off the enrichment.
I would have to think your enrichment system is plugging up or the carbs are in need of cleaning.
probably both need to be cleaned out and readjusted.

how long of a turn of the key do you use per start attempt and do you leave the fast idle lever down while starting?
Model F40TLRZ.

I have been cleaning the fuel system out but I need to clean the carb. I turn the key and let it crank for 2-3 seconds.. We have burnt out the last starter from holding the key too long probably so that had to be replaced. Could I just run some carb n choke cleaner through the carbs? It would take some time to take it out and clean out the bowls n such. I will check up on the enrichment system tomorrow, you probably right, both need it. Carbs always need cleanin around here it seems.

I am a newb mechanic so I am still learning a lotta this stuff. Thanks for the input!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You will need to pick up a service manual for your motor and the proper equipment to adjust the carbs after reinstalling them. Removing and cleaning properly is the best way