Suggestions for Console Arrangement

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'm slowly accumulating the new instrumentation for my 16 ft. Bayrunner (aluminum). Looking for suggestions on best locations for mounting. I'll be mounting a Garmin handheld gps, in their marine mount, a fishfinder (brand/model yet to be determined) and probably a compass. I'll also be mounting a couple of 12V accessory plugs to power the gps and a handheld vhs radio.

The first photo shows the console (which is made of sheet aluminum) from the bow - and the PO's mounting of the compass and flasher type depth sounder. That wasn't a bad arrangement since, when standing at the helm (the only way the boat can be piloted, because of visibility issues) I had a good look at the instruments by simply glancing downward. The compass and depth sounder have since been disposed of (free stuff on Craig's List :)) and will be replaced with new units. My only concern with this arrangement is possible exposure of the electronic instruments to spray coming over the bow.

The second and third photos show the console in its current configuration. The vertical face of the console front, where the wheel is mounted, is crowded with the wheel and tach on one side and voltmeter on the other. Because of this crowding I made the aluminum "auxulliary" console to allow mounting of a cylinder head temp. gauge and one additional gauge yet to be determined.

So, any suggestions on mounting the various instruments and accessory plugs? I've got space for the instruments available on the sloping face at the rear of the console (like the PO did) and the tops of the console and "auxulliary" console. The accessory plugs could go anywhere, but I am concerned with exposure to the elements. I was even thinking of fabricating a bracket to allow mounting them on the inside of the console. Space and accessibility are issues with the boat and I particularly don't want things sticking out the sides of the console that will get in the way when moving fore and aft.

As always, all input welcomed.

Attachments

• New Gas Tank Installation June2011.jpg
    New Gas Tank Installation June2011.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Console1.jpg
    Console1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Console3.jpg
    Console3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suggestions for Console Arrangement

Maybe a plexiglass , wrap around windscreen on top of the console? I've seen some for sale at Cabellas and other boating acessory suppliers.

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm slowly accumulating the new instrumentation for my 16 ft. Bayrunner (aluminum). Looking for suggestions on best locations for mounting. I'll be mounting a Garmin handheld gps, in their marine mount, a fishfinder (brand/model yet to be determined) and probably a compass. I'll also be mounting a couple of 12V accessory plugs to power the gps and a handheld vhs radio.

The first photo shows the console (which is made of sheet aluminum) from the bow - and the PO's mounting of the compass and flasher type depth sounder. That wasn't a bad arrangement since, when standing at the helm (the only way the boat can be piloted, because of visibility issues) I had a good look at the instruments by simply glancing downward. The compass and depth sounder have since been disposed of (free stuff on Craig's List :)) and will be replaced with new units. My only concern with this arrangement is possible exposure of the electronic instruments to spray coming over the bow.

The second and third photos show the console in its current configuration. The vertical face of the console front, where the wheel is mounted, is crowded with the wheel and tach on one side and voltmeter on the other. Because of this crowding I made the aluminum "auxulliary" console to allow mounting of a cylinder head temp. gauge and one additional gauge yet to be determined.

So, any suggestions on mounting the various instruments and accessory plugs? I've got space for the instruments available on the sloping face at the rear of the console (like the PO did) and the tops of the console and "auxulliary" console. The accessory plugs could go anywhere, but I am concerned with exposure to the elements. I was even thinking of fabricating a bracket to allow mounting them on the inside of the console. Space and accessibility are issues with the boat and I particularly don't want things sticking out the sides of the console that will get in the way when moving fore and aft.

As always, all input welcomed.

How about reworking the entire console? I would be building out the top of the console so it is more square and give yourself more mounting surface on the top of the console instead of the face of the console. Water spray is not a big issue for the gps/fish finders sold today if you get a good one.

Also, be aware you do not want your compass close to a gps/fish finder combo if that is what you are getting. The compass can be effected and not read correctly. Most here would tell you to keep the compass, I say get rid of it. If you need one, carry a portable in the console.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Laying out a console is a PITA, mine isn't much bigger than yours and I have a trim gauge, tach, voltmeter, 5 switches, GPS/Plotter,3 power ports and a stereo so it was a real challenge finding a home for everthing.

The stereo I mounted on the side of the console since you are on that side when you are fishing anyhow and it was the only place to put it, my dash panel is a peice 3/16'' aluminum and I used scale card board cutouts and some tape to try different layouts instead of cutting holes and finding out it didn't work.

The fishfinder you can just set in different places to see what works, here is an old pic of mine.

Attachments

• P4090392.jpg
    P4090392.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P4090394.jpg
    P4090394.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

A complete re-do of the console is beyond the scope of the current "project" - which is to get the boat back in functioning condition. I had thought of it as a future improvement, although with a 30 year old aluminum hull, that has been and will be run exclusively in salt water, I don't know if there is enough useful life remaining to think about too many significant modifications. I've talked to other Bayrunner owners here in the San Diego area and a lot of them report pinholes/cracked welds starting to show up in the 20-30 year old boats (In fact, a couple of them have recommended a good bilge pump as the number one priority for the restoration :)).

All of my piloting is done in the standing position, with the top of the console at about mid-waist level. So, I don't see much value in a windshield, particularly since the flat aft section of the hull makes high speeds in a chop a very uncomfortable experience.

Good to know about the durability of today's electronic components and problems with placing a compass in proximity to gps/fishfinder units.

At this point I'm leaning to mounting the gps and the fishfinder on the sloping front surface of the console, so they will be visable by glancing down when piloting (similar to the PO's arrangement). The decision then would be where to locate the 12V accessory plugs. I don't want to have power cords running where they will be flopping around or where they will get snagged when people are moving past the console.

Are the current marine-type 12V accessory plugs weather/spray resistant enough to be mounted on the front sloping surface? I'm still thinking maybe best to mount them on a bracket inside the console.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I was suggesting the screen to help keep spray off the components on the top of the console. Mine does a good job of it.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I was suggesting the screen to help keep spray off the components on the top of the console. Mine does a good job of it.

Ah, OK. Hadn't thought of it that way. I'll take a look at the screens.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Mine also is flared foreward near the top and helps block cold winds from my face when I lean down behind it at high speeds. If your not concerned about seeing through it you could fab something similar out of alum. or plywood. Check out pics of smaller center and side console boats on manufacturers websites and you'll see alot of different styles and shapes.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Here's where I ended up, console extended w/vertical addition mounted & painted to match remainder of interior. Addition to console made of 5051 sheet Al. Cylinder head temperature gauge mounted and easily visible from pilot position. Room for water pressure gauge if I ever get up the courage to tap a hole for a sensor in the water jacket. Two 10 A accessory plugs mounted on rear of console addition - one for my hand-held GPS and one for a hand-held VHF radio.

Garmin hand-held GPS and future purchase fish-finder shown mounted (although the positions may be reversed).

Appreciate the input.

Attachments

• Console4.jpg
    Console4.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Console5.jpg
    Console5.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0