Johnson 3HP Sintered Fuel Valve Removal From Tank - It Is Stuck

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice
JH21E. The valve flowed erratically when I drained the real old gas. I cleaned the tank and want to get the valve out and burn out the sintered material. The contraption is a two piece animal that looks to be brass. It has a larger threaded piece that is directly in the tank. Then a smaller threaded valve that goes into the larger first piece. The valve then has rubber line to the carb. The larger piece is stuck in the tank really good. It is threaded into the tank with a 9/16 brass hex.

Should I be removing/separating the valve piece first from the larger piece in the tank first? Then the larger one fthat goes into the tank to get to this filtered material? The larger one has had some blaster on it a couple days and still won't budge and that is the main question. Tips on getting it out? It is clean so torch is an option - I am hesitant of brute force as I do not want to snap it off inside the tank. Been there, done that , with a similar animal on a minivan intake manifold.

Plan is to burn out the sintered material I have read about and perhaps add an inline 75 micron external small engine one from valve to carb. Or new screening into the filter. Any tips here appreciated. Thanks.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 3HP Sintered Fuel Valve Removal From Tank - It Is Stuck

The "larger one" that goes directly into the tank, may in fact be welded to the tank, and not designed to be removed. It may look as if it's threaded but, that may not be the case. Can you verify this?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A JH-21 is a 1966 3 hp. The filter is screwed into the tank, but may be corroded in there. You don't want to brute force it out of there by torquing it off, as that may twist the tank metal. I have removed very stubborn ones by sharply hitting the wrench with a hammer, providing more of a sudden shock and impact than twisting it off provides.

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice

thnx guys - yup, I know it is a '66. It is definetely threaded in. Can I heat this with a torch to help get it out? I know the sudden shock with hammer and will try that if heating is safe for this.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have never tried a torch on it. Something about flames and gas tanks combined gets to me. I think that the tank is aluminum, so I'd be careful with a torch. I have had to break off a gas cap on one of those tanks as it was so corroded in it and would not budge.

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice

thnx whaler. i am not really worried about the gas and flame part. as i said it was washed out a couple times with simple green and then dawn. i am confident it is not very flamable. yes it does probably have 45 years of corrosion. never run in salt water. this was my grandfathers since new. it spent most of its days on a little lake in hart, mi. believe either someone on this board or aomci had some ties near there. anyway i'm gonna throw a little heat on it snd see what happens. gotta try something. i'll figure it out. merry x-mas.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Aw come on, put a wrench on it and take it out. It is a pipe thread and of course it is tight.

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice

Alright F_R, you're the man here! Small pipe wrench and its out. Thnx - all it needed was a little reassurance. Thnx.