Fuel problems

KIRKW99

Cadet
I recently posted an issue I was having with my Yamaha 200 2 stroke surging bady. The replies mostly suggested a fuel problem. I disconnected the fuel lines from the main tank and used a 15 gallon plastic tank with new premium gasoline, 10% ethanol (I hate that stuff!!). The lines to the engine are new and the syphon bulb is as well. I have added the recommended amount of STA-BIL ethanol treatment and the surging has not occurred at all during my last three trips. I do not know if the fuel line was the issue or the fuel coming from the main tank. What would be the best procedure to ensure that there is not water or trash in the main tank? I have looked at water testing products on the internet and reviews are mixed as to whether they actually work. I am also thinking that an in-line fuel filter might be the answer to prevent trash from entering the engine if present.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel problems

hi...

welcome to iboats !

it is possible that you had a vaccume lock in your other tank.

however....

you could add a water seperator to your main line.....

but a fix i would use is to remove the receiver form the tank.......(after draining) and stick a vacuum hose down the hole to the bottom of the tank with the bow high.
rinse and repeat.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, definitly add a water separating fuel filter to the boat....be sure to put it AHEAD of the bulb and above the tank....i don't mean on top of tank, just above it's plane. You can get these with a clear bottom bowl...you could use this to find out what's being picked up from tank....STABIL is great to use for preventing but I have never had much luck on it getting rid of anything but the mildest of problems with water already there. If you get any water at all in bowl of new filter....clean out the tank, don't wait.

James R

Commander

Thanks for the info on Tashasdaddy. Did not know. A great loss to us all.Belated condolences to his family. He will be sorely missed.