Crossbow Hunting

mscher

Lieutenant
Started bow hunting last season, but am finding, my aging vision is much more suitable to a scope, than a peep sight. Plus, IN is allowing crossbows, for the entire deer season, starting 2012.

Stopped at Cabelas today (on my way home) and checked out many crossbows, from awesome to really awesome, priced accordingly.

Any if anyone uses one and can comment what features to look for, and what to avoid, is appreciated.

All had the bow manufacture's own scope mounted, some which had a little better low-light vision, than other's, and/or illuminated reticles, which will be an important feature, for me. Priced wise, I can afford something in the lower middle.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Crossbow Hunting

I hear they're like a compound bow on steroids. I'm looking into them also.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Most of them are very accurate, and very deadly. You will want to get a crossbow target also, they will shoot through alot of bow targets. A friend has one I've shot bullseyes at 60+ yrds with. Check out reviews of different models before you buy one. Some appear to be better than others and they are all getting better all the time. They do have a rainbow trajectory like bows, but shoot flatter farther, so you might want a rangefinder also along w the CB scope w graduated elevation marks on the crosshairs.

fireman57

Captain

I got a Horton 150 this year for 200.00 and it is pretty accurate. I can't really miss from 25-30yds out. That really is all the farther that I usually shoot my shotgun from because of the spot that I hunt. I have killed 4 deer this season with it and am very pleased. Just so you know I ground hunt, no trees for me and my knees. The only thing I don't like about it is the sight. It is a flimsy piece of green plastic that does bring in a fair amount of light but it breaks easily. when I got this bow it only took three shots to sight it in. I shoot 100 grain fixed broadheads that I get at Wmart for 9.00. for the money it is a great bow, just make sure that you keep the strings waxed. Where do you hunt in Indiana? I am in the very southwest corner. Also fish the heck out of the river.

mscher

Lieutenant

I got a Horton 150 this year for 200.00 and it is pretty accurate. I can't really miss from 25-30yds out. That really is all the farther that I usually shoot my shotgun from because of the spot that I hunt. I have killed 4 deer this season with it and am very pleased. Just so you know I ground hunt, no trees for me and my knees. The only thing I don't like about it is the sight. It is a flimsy piece of green plastic that does bring in a fair amount of light but it breaks easily. when I got this bow it only took three shots to sight it in. I shoot 100 grain fixed broadheads that I get at Wmart for 9.00. for the money it is a great bow, just make sure that you keep the strings waxed. Where do you hunt in Indiana? I am in the very southwest corner. Also fish the heck out of the river.

I hunt near fort Wayne, on some farm woods and CRP land. I have seen the Hortons crossbows, get pretty good reviews. It's supposed to be an Xmas gift, but I might wait until later, for better prices. Of course, bow hunting season is almost over.

to make matters tougher, new bows are coming out, with more features.

Does your model have a cocking device. Apparently they are a must, for the more powerful crossbows.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

They just legalized crossbows in NE this year and even allowed archery during rifle season. I never made it out but dads friend gave him a crossbow and he got a nice 4x4 with it at 15 yards. He said the bolt (arrow) hardly slowed down when it went through the deer. I have yet to shoot it but might over Christmas break.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

The rope/pulley cocking devices make it alot easier to **** all crossbows but if you hunt from an elevated stand you might want the cranking kind. Also the target is mandatory for unloading the thing at the end of an unsucessfull hunt I do believe.

JRJ

Commander

Crossbows are not allowed during archery season here. They can be used during rifle season. Practice is the key, hate to see wounded game.

fireman57

Captain

sorry to be so late with a reply but I don't have the cocking device and have no trouble doing it. To unload I didn't buy the "unloading" arrow. I just un nock the arrow and hold onto the string and let it down slowly. Make sure you have a heckuva grip on it though. You might by the unloading thing. I think they are pretty cheap and will save yor fingers and your string in case of a slip. I am not a big guy either. 5'8" 175 and 54 years old. Mine is really not hard to ****.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Any Bolt w a field tip can be used to unload a crossbow w a target. Some of the newer crossbows have 175+ lbs. of pressure! I would not like to be holding that when the string is released. You can also damage the string unloading them manually. If a string snaps on any crossbow or bow it will cause damage and or injury. Strings must be inspected frequently w bows or crossbows and replaced if anything looks frayed or stretched.

Last edited:

mscher

Lieutenant

Any Bolt w a field tip can be used to unload a crossbow w a target. Some of the newer crossbows have 175+ lbs. of pressure! I would not like to be holding that when the string is released. You can also damage the string unloading them manually. If a string snaps on any crossbow or bow it will cause damage and or injury. Strings must be inspected frequently w bows or crossbows and replaced if anything looks frayed or stretched.

I purchased a Barnett Wildcat C5, that has 175lb of pull. The user manual says, it can be cocked by hand - but not by me. I'm somewhat burly, but I can't get is furthur than about 2/3 of the way cocked. Fortunately, it has the built-in crank cocking mechanism.

Taking it out tomorrow morning.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Mscher, follow the instructions and ****/shoot it carefully, and expect to be impressed by your new toy! W the first shot you will have a newfound respect for crossbows! Also do not shoot at the same spot more than once unless you remove the first bolt from the target. You can easily destroy a bolt (arrow) by hitting it w the second or third shot at the same point on the target. PS "TOY" was a bad description of your crossbow, they are not toys but dangerous, deadly weapons!!

Last edited: