Advice, Help, sick to my stomach!!!

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice
Well I don't come on here much but after today, I need some help. I have a 2003 140hp johnson and it felt like it needed to stop running today in the middle of a inlet with out any warning from the engine at all. It was going just find, then it just cut off and mid throttle. I had no power to anything on the engine. No power to the tilt and trim, gauges or the starter. Just totally dead in the water. When I took the top off, on the right side the panel that covers the fuse box was melted...ya melted. It seems that the ECM is done. I hope that is what it is called. It was too hot to even touch for the first 15 mins. I find it funny that this little ECM that cost around 1k has NOTHING to protect it. No heat sensor or fuse. Just looking to see if anybody has had this happen to them, and what may have caused it. I don't think a ECM would just burn up buy itself but who knows. Something else could be wrong, but I can't do nothing to it with out any power. Thanks again guys.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice, Help, sick to my stomach!!!

Are u sure that your ECU was the one melted? not the sensor group where the rectifier is?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I was going to ask the same thing, did your tach go out?

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Are u sure that your ECU was the one melted? not the sensor group where the rectifier is?

The ECU we extreme hot, and the back of it seem like little white pieces had come to the top. My guess is that is some kind of protection it has, I can't remeber the name of it. Everything esle inside the fuse panels looks normal. Anyway to check this? I am open to all ideas right now.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to ask the same thing, did your tach go out?

What do you mean? I didn't get no warning sounds from the tach. The tack is getting now power at all. Usually when I turn the key, the gas gauge and tach will reset and the engine does the self check. Well its not doing anything right now.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to call BRP customer service at 1-847-689-7090 and talk to them about it. I've never heard of the type of problem you have on this mtr.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Only thing that I can think of is he fried the rectifier, also frying the 20amp fuse at the same time? Did you check the fuse?

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Only thing that I can think of is he fried the rectifier, also frying the 20amp fuse at the same time? Did you check the fuse?

Fuse is fine and is a 60 amp fuse? I thought that was extreme high when I see it. I will take pictures of the fuse box and the ECM tomorrow so you guys can see it. I could be missing something too.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

You may want to call BRP customer service at 1-847-689-7090 and talk to them about it. I've never heard of the type of problem you have on this mtr.

I will give them a call on Monday thanks boobie. I thought this was a werid for this type of part to go bad. Very furstrated today and trying to keep and open mind about this. But 1139.00 for a part is crazy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The tilt & trim should work even with a fried ECU. I would be looking at the basic +12 volt wiring from the point where the positive battery connects to the starter solenoid and then on the smaller wire from that point on. While the ECU may indeed be toast, there must be an unrelated problem with the trim system. As for a fuse protecting the ECU you need to understand that fuses blow when the device it is supposedly protecting draws too much current. If that happens, the unit is toast anyway. The fuses are used to protect the circuit -- not the device. That's just the way electronics work.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Your motor is a really a Suzuki with a Johnson sticker applied, you may want to check to see if the parts are cheaper thru a Suzuki dealer than BRP....

Haffiman

Commander

Have seen this happen when B+ circuit to battery has been 'broken' due to a faulty battery switch.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

The tilt & trim should work even with a fried ECU. I would be looking at the basic +12 volt wiring from the point where the positive battery connects to the starter solenoid and then on the smaller wire from that point on. While the ECU may indeed be toast, there must be an unrelated problem with the trim system. As for a fuse protecting the ECU you need to understand that fuses blow when the device it is supposedly protecting draws too much current. If that happens, the unit is toast anyway. The fuses are used to protect the circuit -- not the device. That's just the way electronics work.

I knew the ECM wasnt the problem. My issue is something esle in the electical system failed, and nothing in that circuit protect the ECM. Its like having your computer hooked up the the power with out any to protect it. Plus it doesnt have not internal heat sensor? It just amazing how something are the most important part of your boat yet they made nothing really to protect them.

daselbee

Commander

You are making assumptions. Leads you to the wrong conclusions.

Those SUZ 4 strokes have numerous protection devices.....but the thing that should be a serious red flag....a 60 amp fuse...wow.

No wonder it burned up. I am thinking that even the harness will be cooked. Those small 18 ga- 20 ga wires in the harness will NOT handle a 60 amp load. Someone put a 60 in there when it should have had a 20.

EDIT:

WELL!!! I take it back....looking at the wiring parts list, I see 30 amp fuse, as well as TWO 60 amp fuses!!! I stand corrected.

Also, the part "ECM battery lead" is fused with a 15 amp fuse. Maybe someone put the 60 in the 15 spot...who knows what happened.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

You are making assumptions. Leads you to the wrong conclusions.

Those SUZ 4 strokes have numerous protection devices.....but the thing that should be a serious red flag....a 60 amp fuse...wow.

No wonder it burned up. I am thinking that even the harness will be cooked. Those small 18 ga- 20 ga wires in the harness will NOT handle a 60 amp load. Someone put a 60 in there when it should have had a 20.

EDIT:

WELL!!! I take it back....looking at the wiring parts list, I see 30 amp fuse, as well as TWO 60 amp fuses!!! I stand corrected.

Also, the part "ECM battery lead" is fused with a 15 amp fuse. Maybe someone put the 60 in the 15 spot...who knows what happened.

You are right about making assumption and alot of it is coming from being upset at this point. I need to go find the 30 amp and 15 amp fuse. Still even 15 amps is WAY to much for the ECM. I don't want to turn this into a fourm that bashes the makers of this, but going over the manuals and wiring diagrams. Those amps are the only thing that protects the ECM. Nothing internal at all, no overload or heat sensors at all. I was going to take picture but my wife left her camera at work. I ll try to post some on monday. But I went out and looked over today and didn't see any esle wrong with it. I would like to know if somebody can confirm that the tilt and trim will work with out the ECM?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Looks like the t/t is powered by unfused white wire from starter solenoid.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Well just had somebody look at it and had a freak thing happened, There is a inspection hole in the middle part of the motor. Well the plug blew out and set hot exhaust into the top of the enigne and electrical parts. It was blowing right on the ECM. Found the 30 amp fuse and it was blown, so good news is the ECM is fine. JUst gotta find a welder to fix the hole now.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

How big is the hole? You might be able to buy a blank off and put it back in. I wouldn't have it welded shut. :eek: