85' OMC Stringer Outdrive....stuck shift cable (update)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
The shift cable is stuck in the hole that goes through the intermidiate housing. Looks like corrosion or maybe the last guy used accumpuccy to seal the hole...no retainer was in place. Anybody got a good idea on how to remove it without destroying the cable? Can just barely feel the cable from the inside...tight quarters.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 85' OMC Stringer Outdrive....stuck shift cable (update)

OBJ.<br />This is exactly why I stopped working on older motors/units.The stuck cable costs 325 or so.if you can find it.Now figure how much time is involved so far.My guess is a total of 500,and it ain't apart yet.<br /><br />cut the cable,pull the drive,take the drive apart and fix the problem.<br /><br />But realize you started @$500.00 before you got the drive off.<br /><br /><br />Sorry,I didn't mean to beat around the bush.<br /><br />DHP

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Looks like corrosion or maybe the last guy used accumpuccy to seal the hole...
????

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks DHP...no need to be sorry.....I'd rather have some one tell it like it is than beat around the bush. It's seldom I work on them but this is a friends rig and I told him I'd see what I can do.......he knew in advance what we could run into.<br /><br />What I'm saying there Boomyal is that the ribs on the shift cable feel like they are locked in by corrosion and there is some black stuff...maybe form-a-gasket on the cable. <br /><br />I'll probably just cut the darn thing and get the job done.....I'm doing this on my off hours.....welll....what are friends for anyway? :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I would try to get a stiff wire in between the cable casing and the housing in several places. Then insert a nozzle for a penetrant and spray. The hole is about three inches long. The rubber sleeve/seal on the cable is only about an inch long. If you haven't already done it, you can remove the outdrive and move it over out of the way for better access. You can do it

KaGee

Admiral

PERMATEX now has a sillycone solvent. Comes in a tube, and has to set a while to soften. But it does work.<br /><br />You might try some PB Blaster too. <br /><br />I found on mine that two people work best... one pushing, one pulling. It's a tight fit even without corrosion.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the input guys.....We'll give it every chance to come out before we break out the side grinder......Thanks.... :)

whywhyzed

Banned

the tiniest jewellers drill you can find and then coping saw blade might be able to get in at the adhesive... the cable sheath is pretty meaty there

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Got it out....and all in one piece. I dribbled some PB Blaster down the cable from the inside and got some in from the outside. A good pull and it came out....<br /><br />That's the good news.<br /><br />The bad news is after getting the pump out, I found the splines on the impeller drive shaft section and the mating splines on the upper drive shaft to be near nill. My bud is keeping a stiff upper lip....says better to find it now than on the water.....

KaGee

Admiral

Sorry to hear that Jim... In the older units that was a common problem.