2000 Johnson J70PLSSD removal of lower unit

Bubbajames

Recruit
I believe I'm on the right track but could use a little help so I don't mess anything up. I have removed the 5 bolts listed in the manual that need to be removed. I did however leave the middle bottom one loose so the unit won't fall off. The tricky one seems to be the one listed as follows in the manual for the J70PLSSD:

3. Remove the shift rod screw (protruding under the top engine cover,
above the exhaust housing).

I disconnected the shift rod screw that is located under the carburetor, inside the engine cover and behind the carburetor housing. I took off the carburetor covers that has gaskets on it, and I was able to access this darn upside down bolt that holds the shifting rod. It is now loose but I have no idea if I can get this thing back on, it was tough getting off. The unit is still not loose and I'm afraid to continue as it seems I need to be lower on the shifter rod. Not sure, any help would be appreciated.

Bubba

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Johnson J70PLSSD removal of lower unit

The shift rod lever usually needs to slide one way or other to disengage pin that holds rod.
When putting back together some supper long needle nose pliers or surgical forcepts will help. Creasent makes an interesting two pivot point needle nose that works great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you should see a clevis pin on the horizontal shift rod. Pull it and move the shift linkage away from the shift rod, and it will be released.

Bubbajames

Recruit

I appreciate the help and will get some long needle nose to hook the shifter rod back up. There were two more screws hidden under the trim tab. One of them was hidden way up inside and the other ran through the Anticorrosion Anode. I really appreciate the help and love this forum. Thanks again.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

forgot to remind you about hidden lu bolt sorry