battery dual and single

cyclone540

Cadet
i have a single battery 12v for my motor (90hp) to start and run lights, sounder etc etc
and have two batteries for my elec motor 24v can i hook all three battery to the motor to charge?.
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

fucawi

Banned
Re: battery duel and single

yes but the charge output from your 90 hp is not high ..(check the spec as you dont say which motor it is ) Many would say you would be wasting your time as even if you had loads of output it would take 14 hrs to charge the batteries...and they would have to be in parallel. It is not easy to switch 24 to 12v and connecting the run down ones to the charged starting battery is not a good idea

I run my 24v Minn Kota on 12v having tweaked the prop a bit with a hot air gun and find I can get 3.2 knt on 12v at 20 A and 3.8kts on 24v at 56A.

By reducing to 12v rather than using the controller you will double the run time of your motor.

cyclone540

Cadet

how can you run 24v system on 12v, am i miss something?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You would have to install a switching system to parallel the batteries while underway. Then swtich back to series connection to run the troller. That switching system would need to take into account the situation where you might start the engine while the 24 volt system is active. So in the 24 volt mode the system must disconnect from the charging system. This is not a project for the faint of heart so take the advice in the previous post. Your engine cannot possibly keep three batteries charged in the typical run from point to point or the 10 minute dash back to the dock. That would take hours (at wide open throttle no less). Don't bother with this as it is not worth the time, money, or complexity. Install a two or three bank on-board charger and plug in at the dock.

fucawi

Banned

Cyclone ..mine is a simple transom mount 24v originally with with a resistive controller ..works fine on 12v ..if you have a bow mount with a foot controller different story......runs a model aero prop too ...

Attachments

• ry=480.jpg
    ry=480.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Cyclone ..mine is a simple transom mount 24v originally with with a resistive controller ..works fine on 12v ..if you have a bow mount with a foot controller different story......runs a model aero prop too ...

Is that trolling motor installed Through your hull?? Looks wild!