Need some advice from the Pontoon Veterns

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need some advice from the Pontoon Veterns

The pontoon looks nice from the little pics. I would ask if they have maintence records to verify proper maintence.

The Rooster

Ensign

Looks clean Scott. The Johnson is a carburated motor, but reliable as I understand it. I do think they can do a little better on that price, given this economy, and time of year. A good sea trial should tell you a lot. Good luck !!!

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

thats on my list Jeff to see maintenance records thanks.//

scott

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rooster. My dad will be going with me to check it out when I can. he even said that Johnson was a good motor. I'm a little worried about a 2 stroke but it is what it is....

scott

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Rooster. My dad will be going with me to check it out when I can. he even said that Johnson was a good motor. I'm a little worried about a 2 stroke but it is what it is....

scott

Why are you worried about a two stroke. Half the parts of a four stroke and this engine you can actually fix yourself if something needs repair (assuming of course you know which end of a screw driver to hold).

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

slivertip,,

I figure if I can rebuild my sportster motor I can handle a marine engine. just want to make sure she'll be good for at least the first season, not sure how good on gas she'll ge either. I plan to go look at it this weekend or mid week next. I plan to start out at around 10,500 - 11K on the price. he's already emailed me twice if i was still interested in looking at it. thanks.

scott

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is a good year for that engine, it is after BRP took over OMC so it is alot beter than the '99-'00 version, Bombardier really tightened up quality, was talking to a BRP rep at a show and he said they threw a way almost half the cranks they got when they bought OMC because there so far out of spec so if it was taken care of that should be a really good engine.

A carburated 2 stroke is the best engine in my opinion, as Silvertip said, it is half the parts and no fuel injection computer which makes maintanece half what it would be.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

slivertip,,

not sure how good on gas she'll ge either.

scott

Please don't take this the wrong way. If fuel efficiency is a big concern, don't buy a boat. Obviously some set-ups will be more efficient than others, but as a rule, boats suck a lot of gas. Now, having said that, the enjoyment from spending the day on the water with family and friends is worth every penny you may spend on fuel, maintenance and every other boating related cost.

The Rooster

Ensign

Please don't take this the wrong way. If fuel efficiency is a big concern, don't buy a boat. Obviously some set-ups will be more efficient than others, but as a rule, boats suck a lot of gas. Now, having said that, the enjoyment from spending the day on the water with family and friends is worth every penny you may spend on fuel, maintenance and every other boating related cost.

Well said !!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Scott, that's a great rig. I like it much better than the Tracker. 22' is a perfect size IMO. Plenty of room but easy to handle. I particularly like the way it's laid out with front lounges and swivel seats. Best of both worlds. Looks like a well conceived floor plan, and Crest builds good barges. Let us know.

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone on your comments... Incoop, this is basically the ideal set up i've been looking at and for mostly at bentley's. I like having the two fishing seats up front and still have the lounges for the ladies if were not fishing. from everthing that I've been reading the price of $12500 isn't too bad either and it has a brand new trailer to go with it. thanks again. I plan to go look at it this coming week.

scott

Jeep Man

Commander

Nice rig Scott. For that size boat the trailer should have tandem axles for better stability.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My pontoon came with the same motor. It's been trouble free from day one. Not bad on fuel nor oil. Plenty of get up and go to haul that barge around.

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

cc350,

thanks for the input. I'm going up to look at the boat next week. I'm hoping it's as clean as the pictures show. The boat is right there on the water so test drive will be done. If dont mind what prop pitch do you have on your motor currently and what is your average person's on boat usually? what kind of speed are you getting with it? thanks again.

scott

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Think the prop was a 15x13p, most of the time just the DW and I. Tops out at 27-29 with me no gear 1/4 tank fuel. Loaded with 4 people, full tank of fuel is 24-25. The more weight, the more top drops. 25 is about the most common spot. We cruise it around 17 mph and get best fuel usage.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to add to this, our Pontoon is underskined. This helps get the most from your motor! And helps with the ride.:cool:

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

Might be worth running it through nadaguides.com a couple of times (once for the pontoon boat and once for the motor) to get a feel of the bluebook value.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Might be worth running it through nadaguides.com a couple of times (once for the pontoon boat and once for the motor) to get a feel of the bluebook value.

Maybe, but consensus is that's pretty well worthless. I tend to agree. It's really all about comps.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless the guy just has people lined up wanting to buy this thing, I'd try and get it for cheaper. My buddy has a little bit older Crest with a 2-stroke Johnson and has never had a single issue with it. It's a real nice boat.