Introduction-Hello from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocket aces

Cadet
Hello! From Tampa Fl. I had a 89 Mastercraft which I bought new. In my much younger single days when I had a lot more disposable income. I used to barefoot, kneeboard, & Skurf (the orginal wakeboard). Got married bought a house and the boat was sold. You know the story. Came across a deal I couldn't pass up. 2 months ago. 1986 Magnum Skier by Marlin. for $2600.00 just as you see it. I have put 17 hours on it and pulls and drives like my old Mastercraft. He said almost everything mechanical has been replaced or rebuilt. Been doing a lot searching on the forum here. Starting next month I start to dig into the floor. It has a few small soft spots. I know. I am hoping for the best. Got about 4 months to work on this. My 15 year old son can't wait for spring, dad too. I can't let him show up his old man.

magnumskiersicxmass002.jpg

magnumskiersicxmass003.jpg

magnumskiersicxmass004.jpg

magnumskiersicxmass006.jpg

I got a lot of plans and idea's. Working with a tight budget here. I will keep you posted with pics and I'm sure plenty of questions.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Introduction-Hello from Florida

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!

All I can say for now is Hope for the best but prepare for the Worst!! As you know soft spots in the deck usually indicate many other issues below deck. Stringers and Transoms. The Good news is...You ARE on the World's bes DIY boat rebuilding Forum. If you can't find the answer to your question here...It can't be found. Someone on here has "Been there and done that" and prolly with your exact boat. Keep posting pics and questions, and you will be amazed at the plethora of responses you will receive.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello, P.A., from a fellow Floridian, and welcome to the Iboats forum! Thats a nice ski boat you picked up there. Replacing wood rot is not too bad, and as Wood said, there are many people on here to help you along the way. Good luck with your project, and you'll be out skiing in no time!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

kelowna british columbia canada here.

welcome.....

i can see by the pics the boat is toast........being the good guy i am ......ill buy it from you for 100 dollars:eek: :D:D ;).....even drive down there and pick it up !!!!!!!

cheers
and welcome
oops

kfa4303

Banned

Small world. Fellow Floridian/Tallahassean here too. Good luck on the new project. You're in the right place. Cheers!

Go Noles!

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome, pocket aces. you found the right forum for any help ya need with the boat. great guys here.

i can see by the pics the boat is toast........being the good guy i am ......ill buy it from you for 100 dollars:eek: :D:D ;).....even drive down there and pick it up !!!!!!!
what a pal!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome Pocket Aces,
From just a bit further South...:)

Nice Catch on that super speedy lookin ski boat...

I'll be on board this thread to see how it comes out, thanks for sharing and have fun!

GT1M

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome PA!

You know, I think Oops may be on to something, so to save you both the cost of long distance travel or shipping, I'll be down in March to unburden you of this eyesore for the princely sum of $175.97 (please note: all prices ending in a '7' are clearance items & are non-refundable purchases!:D)

Besides you can clearly see the dry rot on the starboard tires..:eek:...

Ok, you are right, this is the harshest welcome wagon on the 'net. Happy to have you aboard & in dry dock w/ us. I do like the big ole' throttle knob on your control box. Almost looks like a mini mirrored disco ball:cool: I like it!

Great to hear you've already enlisted a 1st mate to help out with all the demo drudgery. He'll have some stories (with scars) to share at school this spring.......Good luck with your project.....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Excellent looking project boat.

We have had a few ski boat rebuilds over the years and it is a wild guess on what you will find under that deck.

My first piece of advice is DO NOT work alone.............. get that 15 year old involved in every part of the re-build, take lots of photos and enjoy the misery together!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Beautiful boat. It even looks like a Mastercraft. You know, you might be guilty for grand theft--if you paid that little for this boat.

Straight inboard boats last forever if properly maintained. Boat salvage yards are full of not so old stern drives. Inboards are just such good values for the long run. (One guy down the street from me has a '53 model Chris Craft in mint condition--inherited from his father who bought it new.)

You need to address any soft deck issues on this boat--if you're going to pass it down to your son. First loss, least loss. It's not going to get any cheaper to fix'em in the future.

pocket aces

Cadet

Ok, you are right, this is the harshest welcome wagon on the 'net. Happy to have you aboard & in dry dock w/ us. I do like the big ole' throttle knob on your control box. Almost looks like a mini mirrored disco ball I like it!

That there funny! I do love the 80's

Some off these threads are bone chillin scarey! I am afraid of the can of worms I will be opening up.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

might not be as bad as you think....once the deck is up.....all will be clear !

suenosazules

Recruit

Great little ski boat.. Very nice..I hope you enjoy it.. A great little project. You will have to send more pictures when the project is all done and up and running.

19skier

Recruit

Hi

I?m restoring a 88 Magnum Skier, it looks just like yours. But i Have one little problem, the boat came without the drive shaft and i dont know the lenght of it. Can you help me?

Br
Nick

Precision

Recruit
Hello, I am in the process of restoring a 1986 Magnum Skier but like you have no Prop Shaft. Were you able to acquire the dimensions of the shaft? I have estimated it to 1 3/8" by 47"
Thanks
Scott

jbcurt00

Staff member
Precision,
Best to open a topic of your own about you boat and the prop shaft.

This topic is more then 4yrs old and a several of the posters are no longer active.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.