old sportwin outboard

ruder

Seaman Apprentice
I have a old evinrude sport twin plate # 3012-14950
What year and where do I get a carburetor kit?
the fuel is leaking around the primer shaft.
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: old sportwin outboard

3012-09001 through 34000 is a 1953 Lightwin. You get a kit for that here at iboats. But a Lightwin doesn't have a primer, so maybe you do have a Sportwin?? Problem with the numbers though. How about a picture?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi ruder. Welcome to iboats. F_R is right, you can get many, if not all of the parts you need right here at iboats. However, before you order anything let's make sure we've nailed down your year, make and model. Check the transom clamp for a small metal tag. It's usually riveted on the left side, but it may be found elsewhere. By "primer shaft" are you referring to your hi/lo speed carburetor needles perhaps? A pic would be helpful too.

ruder

Seaman Apprentice

yes this has a name on the tank that says sport twin.
there is a big knob for fuel shut off and seting the amount of fuel when running, the instructions for starting is to push primer 3 times which is just below the shut off knob, If you need pictures I can get them. Thank you

kfa4303

Banned

Great. Thanks for the clarification. A picture would be great and would help us more accurately date it. Did you happen to see a model number stamped on the tag? Give this link a read too. It will show you all the basic steps involved in giving one of these old motors a complete tune up. While there are some slight differences between Johnson and Evinrude brand motors, they are essentially the same, so the techniques used to repair one can be used on the other.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/johnson_QD.htm

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here is your carburetor, but it is not a model 3012. It is a model 4423, 1947-51, 3.3hp

There is no carburetor kit, and there never was one. You have to order individual parts, most of which are highly obsolete. It is totally unlike the 3hp Lightwin carb that replaced the 3.3 Sportwin.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Attachments

• 4423 Sportwin Carburetor.jpg
    4423 Sportwin Carburetor.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

ruder

Seaman Apprentice

thank you very much you nailed it.
now to find or make parts. I have pictures but it don't look like you need them. Rudy

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Could there be a possibility that someone mounted some Lightwin transome clamps on a Sportwin? :confused:

I know there isn't any parts compatability on the two, but the clamps may be a possibility.

Holy Gads, F_R. Now I know what you mean about the Sportwin carburetor. LOL

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Could there be a possibility that someone mounted some Lightwin transome clamps on a Sportwin? :confused:

I know there isn't any parts compatability on the two, but the clamps may be a possibility.

Holy Gads, F_R. Now I know what you mean about the Sportwin carburetor. LOL

I didn't think the clamps would fit, but I just looked it up and surprise, they do have the same part numbers. I guess you nailed it, somebody has swapped brackets.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, after what I've seen of the Sportwin, that looks like about the only thing that is compatible with the Lightwin. The two look quite similar, but there's a huge difference in the designs.

ruder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help, I have put this object on the back burner for now will get back on it later, had it running by putting start fluid in the cylinder but,I believe there must be a adjust ment on the fuel shut off mixture because when I turn it from full open it won't run as it may be adjusted too lean. I put the knob on at the full close position.

64osby

Admiral

Starting fluid will strip the lubrication out of the motor, not a good thing.

If what your talking about is the mixture screws, I don't think they are shut offs, they adjust the mixture and then you leave them alone when you get it set.

Idle down all they way, if it still runs, you should be able to pull the choke and it will stop. I don't think you have a kill button.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Try the free classifieds at www.aomci.org for parts...the old Sportwins are kinda funky...they run well when they run, but don't run right often...also, lots of heft, weight for only 3 hp.

ruder

Seaman Apprentice

This old motor don't have a choke only a primer and a knob to adjust from close to open in increments, but I have it running with the knob turned all the way to rich, but when I try to idle it down it dies maybe the valve has to be opened farther away from shutoff.
model 4423 1947 year.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That little bugger would make a nice restoration project. I would go ahead and fix it up, but if you want something more easy to run and dependable, I would go ahead and hunt down a later 3hp Lightwin. There are still lots of those out there and they come back to life very easily.