Considering a 1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 any known issues?

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im looking at getting a 1999 Bayliner 2050. its got the 5.7L mercruiser in it and am wondering if theres any common issues or things specific to this boat or engine to look for when I look at it?

any tips are appreciated

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Considering a 1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 any known issues?

hi......welcome to iboats....

the merc package is fine.

but the hull might have issues. look for soft spots in the deck......and tap the inside of the transom....look for decayed wood.

bu the mid 90.s bliner had most of the issues worked out....but it all depended on the owner of the boat......if it was a garage kept boat, you will be fine.....but if the owner left it open and uncovered during the long winter months.....there will most likely be issues.

by the way......that is a really good package.

cheers
oops

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well ive been told the current owner hasnt used it in 2 years out of the 3 that he owned it and its been in a shed for that time and before him he says it was in storage for 6 years. I havent seen it in person (its 3 hours away) but he claims theres no rips or fading on the seats or carpet. But when i see it ill definately check the floor and transom.

Whats good compression for this motor? He says it has about 170psi on all cylinders. I plan on pullin a couple plugs and checking to make sure before i make any decisions, but 170 seems pretty good to me i cant imagine it being much higher then that when it was new.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a buck 70 across the board is good.......but even is better.......make sure they are all even or close.....

depending on the price....it could be a deal

tpenfield

Staff member

Other than the fact that it is a Bayliner (oopps! did I say that?) you should be fine. . . . :)

Of bigger concern is the lack of use. The boat is 12 years old and not used for 8 of them ?!?! If the compression test was done 2 years ago, it may be irrelevant today. So, another compression test would be in order after running for 1/2 hour or so. Bring your ice pick with you and test the floor, engine compartment, stringer, transom, etc for soft spots. I wonder if the gas tank is full or partially full of 2 year old fuel. The engine probably won't like the taste of that stuff.

Ideally, you would like to go for a test ride, a.k.a sea trial/lake trial, but the time of year may not be right for that. However, I sea trialed my current boat in the dead of winter, happened to be a 50 degree day . . . the next day it was snowing.

Let us know how you make out, post some pics if you can.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm... Someone asking about a 21 y/o Bayliners quality....

...Sitting back to watch the beatings begin....

southkogs

Staff member

Power to weight looks nice on that boat. My folks have a Bayliner - '03 19 Capri - and for all of the things that I don't care for about them, I have to admit it's a pretty boat and it rides really nicely.

If the price is right, and you're confident you can make it swim again - it might be a pretty nice boat.

Philster

Captain

Hmmmm... Someone asking about a 21 y/o Bayliners quality....

...Sitting back to watch the beatings begin....

Math much? It's about 12 years old. :D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Math much? It's about 12 years old. :D

CRAPCRAPCRAP!

I read that as 1990...:mad:

Sux needing glasses...:D

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey now i know its a bayliner buts its still a 7-$8k boat isnt it? Im looking at trading it for my snowmobile. I guess the previous owner of it was a retired boat dealer who bought fixed and sold boats and he put the motor in himself, so im guessing it had a blown motor when he bought it. But the guy who owns it now swears its not some cobble job and that it ran perfect last time he had it out. heres a link to a pic of the boat http://www.freeimagehosting.net/4d039

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as you can see in the pic the trailer isnt original. he said the original was cracking down the middle of the frame so they replaced it.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

If it has been sitting on that trailer for any kind of time, it will have a hook in the hull!

attachment.php

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 8

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would the bunk really sink into the hull? i asked the guy and he said its been on that trailer for almost a year and theres no marks from it or anything.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

would the bunk really sink into the hull? i asked the guy and he said its been on that trailer for almost a year and theres no marks from it or anything.
The weight of the engine and outdrive will cause the transom to sag. 80% of the weight of the boat is hanging off the trailer! Take a 3-6' straight edge to the hull to check for a hook.

Philster

Captain

A hooked hull means the hull is warped and dangerous at speed.

It is a large problem; it (hooking) is deformation of the hull shape along the length or part of the length. It's got to be a concern if it sat on that trailer.

Hulls are not rigid. It's been sagging it's butt off the end of the trailer.

This is why you are here asking about buying a boat on iboats, so someone can slap you upside the head with the ugly issues so you land a good boat and come back to iboats and become a lifetime boater, instead of a boater whose boat is a nightmare, which could end your boating run (or your life).

tpenfield

Staff member

Just something to check since it has been sitting on there for a while. Probably, there is no issue, so don't agonize over it.

Philster

Captain

Just something to check since it has been sitting on there for a while. Probably, there is no issue, so don't agonize over it.

Um... hello... we're not talking about marks from a bunk; we're talking about the bulk of the weight hanging off the back of a misfit trailer and warping the hull. The arrow in the pic in supposed to highlight the end of the trailer and not where a mark might show up. A trailer should run all the way back so that the bunks are supporting the hull/transom (the transom is the back of the boat supporting lots of mechanical structure.

Is this coming through loud and clear? Bunk marks? Not the issue. A warped hull? Yes, possible srious issue given it's hanging off the back of the misfit trailer.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1997 Bayliner 2050 with the 5.7L engine, and I love it. It has the perfect amount of speed, and the engine is solid. I can't commend on the warped hull because I know nothing about it. But that trailer is clearly not right for that boat, and if you decide to go with it, be sure to fix that trailer or get a new one.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

My next door neighbors have the same boat with the same motor and love it. They tow about a half a dozen teenagers on a giant mat/tube, and have power to spare.

From the pic, it looks like the bunks are at least partly under the engine, so the engine is at least partly supported, so it might not be quite as bad as it seems. Depends on how long the boat has been on this trailer.

As Tahorover said, it's easy to check for a hook for this boat. Just take at least a 6' or so straight edge, and hold it up to the keel, right under the motor. Look for any daylight in the middle of the straight edge, between the straight edge and the keel. I 'suspect' that this boat is still all right, but if you buy it, fix the trailer. Get longer bunks, and make sure the engine is fully supported.

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got the boat in late january. I took it out today to make sure it ran decent. and was suprised, it ran great, little hesitation in the midrange but its got 1/2 tank of gas from 2 years ago almost. and i checked the plugs last week and they look pretty crappy, I have new ones just havent put em in yet. But overall it impressed me. Speedo doesnt work but the main thing i was worried about was handling issues from issues brought up on here because of the short trailer. But, it handles fine at full throttle. the boat feels very fast.

Ill be putting it on another trailer this week