Striper.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Striper.

Lol, well have you tried?? The last time I went out my boat was taking on water:mad:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I got into a school of 5 lbers. last Friday, they weren't big... but they were fun on light Crappie tackle. They felt like whales!

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

This year has been great on the Delaware river. I'll try to post some photos. One morning it was non-stop every cast. Using bloods

sutor623

Rear Admiral

That is great! We have been having some great luck in Lake Anna. The 20 pounders and up are a little elusive, but boy you can catch the creel limit in under an hour some days!! Here is a pic of a Striper I caught off the coast at Ocean City, MD. They seriously have some of the best Bay/Saltwater fishing that I have ever seen!! petestriper.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

This year has been great on the Delaware river. I'll try to post some photos. One morning it was non-stop every cast. Using bloods

Yeah man Id love to see some photos! What is the water temperature up there about now? Thats not to far from my neck of the woods.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I fish the Neely Henry and Logan Martin impoundments on the Coosa river here in Bama.

Maaaaaaannnnn I'd love to live in Alabama!! So let me ask you this, do you live in AL because you like to fish, or do you like to fish because you live in AL??

fishrdan

Admiral

My kids and I stuffed the boat's big livewell (50") with dinks a couple times this summer. Lots of fun catching, but I hate cleaning 30-40 of them.

The big stripers have been kicking my butt as I've hooked into 2 good ones and they both found submerged trees to wrap themselves in. My son keeps giving me carp as he's got the big one for the year, 24#er.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what you call nice. We caught 6 fish last Friday. Four where over #40. The other two where in the #25-#30 range. All but two where relased to fight another day. Chesapeake Bay ;)

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lol, well have you tried?? The last time I went out my boat was taking on water:mad:

yeah, but for some reason I have bad luck with striper. Quota here is 2 @ 18inch+ and I've caught 1 keeper in 5 minutes and not caught another in the next 5 hours. Still trying to figure out trolling. I will quota some day...some day.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Everyone seems to have different experiences with Stripers/Rockfish--some in saltwater, some in brackish water, and some stocked into inland freshwater lakes. The best fish appear to be stocked into land locked fresh water lakes--not rivers with tugs/barges and locks on the dams. These fish require a very healthy lake, as stripers' favorite diet is young bream/bluegills.

Many lakes throughout the South are stocked with these fish. At Percy Priest Lake, the Nashville Metro Police once had to walk a beat below the power house to insure peace after fights and gunshots between fishermen. Fish were commonly caught in the 30# to 40# size on high end. This remains a very good place to fish.

The Tennessee State record for a Striper/Rockfish is 65 lbs. 6 oz. an hour east of Nashville. There are also lakes in Middle and East Tennessee that are incredible lakes for these fish.

Sutor623 asked JignGrub if he lived in Alabama for the fishin'. There are fabulous inland boating and fishing lakes all over the South--from Texas to Florida to Virginia and back to Arkansas. The cost of southern living (housing) is very low, the fishing season is long (8-10 months), and weather is favorable to the "fishing lifestyle."

There are two local fishing tournaments a week on our lake. We host the Bassmaster Elite tournament, the WalMart fishing tournament, the Triton tournament and the big Catfish tournament series.

It's just not a bad lifestyle--if you have a wife that understands you.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Everyone seems to have different experiences with Stripers/Rockfish--some in saltwater, some in brackish water, and some stocked into inland freshwater lakes. The best fish appear to be stocked into land locked fresh water lakes--not rivers with tugs/barges and locks on the dams. These fish require a very healthy lake, as stripers' favorite diet is young bream/bluegills.

Sutor623 asked JignGrub if he lived in Alabama for the fishin'. There are fabulous inland boating and fishing lakes all over the South--from Texas to Florida to Virginia and back to Arkansas. The cost of southern living (housing) is very low, the fishing season is long (8-10 months), and weather is favorable to the "fishing lifestyle."

It's just not a bad lifestyle--if you have a wife that understands you.

The primary diet for Striped Bass in inland 'Bama lakes is Shad.
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/fishing/freshwater/where/reservoirs/

My fishing season is 12 months long here in central 'Bama.

If your wife doesn't understand you... you need to either sell the boat and take up knitting or get a new wife, I opted for the latter.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

We have Threadfin and Gizzard Shad here, with Threadfin being the most abundant.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The first few months after my father's retirement, he'd get up at 4:00 a.m. every morning, and head out to Percy Priest Dam to fish off the bank. He used a long saltwater lure with a bunch treble hooks. He'd feel one of those monster hit the lure--and then spit it out. He called it Rockfish Fever. Serious Rockfishermen have to go fishing for bream before they fish for Rockfish--their favorite bait.

After moving to our Alabama lake house, Pop switched over to catfish. He would spend the afternoons foraging for fish bait--after calling fishermen friends asking what the cats were biting. Baits were nightcrawlers, minnows, shad, bait shrimp, sponges soaked in oil of anise, cubes of Ivory Soap. He'd bait the lines just before dark, and check the trotlines at daybreak. He'd get so excited when he felt the vibrations on the trotline--knowing he had something good down the line. Catfish Fever was as bad as Rockfish Fever--and much more successful.

FYI: The big catfish tournament this year held on our lake took a 12 fish limit--212 lbs. to win. It think the biggest caught fish was 95 lbs. in the tournament. Those guys are serious fishermen.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This turd tried to take my 2" Crappie jig away from me yesterday.
DSC02294.jpg

Not a big one, but a heckuva fight on UL tackle and 4 lb. test.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Took my boat out by myself for the first time today. 1 twelve in striper. :mad: Nothing while attempting to troll, although I don't know if I was doing it right or not, lol...but I tried anyways. I'm starting to hate striper.