Question about Motor Mounts

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1997 Bayliner 2050 capri with the 5.7L mercruiser. I have not had it out on the water in a couple of years, and have just completed getting it back in working order and back on the water. I noticed that the motor mounts do not sit flushly and are angled now. Its the rear bolt on both sides that look like this. Its still really tight, so I didnt want to take it off or try to tighten it down until after I got the iboat opinion. Here is the picture.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eZjFckfb88YHz2wecdx_0tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to post pictures from picasa without uploading them on this site. I usually use my phone to take pictures and then just upload it to picasa from my phone. The file never touches my computers hard drive, so I can't upload them. Most sites allow you to embed the image, but I have not found that feature here on Iboats. Thanks,

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Question about Motor Mounts

Do you know if it was like this several years ago?

Do you need to fix this? or is it secure as is?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Like this? :)

IMAG0078.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, QC.

I don't remember the mounts looking like this, but I am really not sure. The motor feels secure, and I have taken the boat out a few times as well. But that doesn't mean its safe. I just wanted to get the Iboat opinion and see if you guys would try and adjust this, or just ignore it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

How you do that is to click the image thingy. And then "From URL" tab and uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" deal. Of course paste the URL into the little box . . .

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, now I know for next time.

Philster

Captain

I'd be worried that whatever the female threads/motor mount is/are bedded in has rotted and that they're hanging on by sheer luck. The mount is angled, so can receive the male threads (bolt) at an angle. Not predicting this, but this must be checked. You need to find out if the area of the motor mount is safe/secure or the subject of rot.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1997 Bayliner 2050 capri with the 5.7L mercruiser. I have not had it out on the water in a couple of years, and have just completed getting it back in working order and back on the water. I noticed that the motor mounts do not sit flushly and are angled now. Its the rear bolt on both sides that look like this. Its still really tight, so I didnt want to take it off or try to tighten it down until after I got the iboat opinion. Here is the picture.

Ayuh,... Those are lag bolts, 'n it's fine, so long as it ain't loose....

Mess with it, 'n the alignment should be checked...

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am pretty sure there is no rot. I live in the desert of Las Vegas and its stored inside. Humidity hardly ever goes above 10% here. But I see where you are coming from because it definitely looks like something is rotten in there. I am pretty sure that its supposed to sit flat on there, since the front two bolts are completely flat. Should I take the bolt out and try and take a look, or should I try to bolt it back down? Just trying to get some suggestions on what people think I should do.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its definitely not loose, I cant move the bolt at all, but do you think it could get worse as time goes on. Because only one part of the bolt is in contact with the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Its definitely not loose, I cant move the bolt at all, but do you think it could get worse as time goes on. Because only one part of the bolt is in contact with the boat.
No,... Leave it alone, it ain't hurtin' a thing...

The hole is slightly off center, 'n the lag follows the hole...

It's NOT a problem...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My Bayliner's motor mount lag bolt looked like that. Don't worry about it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep leave it alone.... the lags are crooked because the guy rigging the boat (when new) put em in at an angle

mr 88

Commander

Hungover Monday strikes again.That's the difference between craftsmanship and any guy off the street.[not directed at any boat mfg as many do the same thing,money usually is the dividing factor] It would be nice to unscrew them and recaulk but if they do not want to move,leave them.I would put a marker line from top of bolt and draw it down to the mount,easy way to see if it ever moves.
Yep leave it alone.... the lags are crooked because the guy rigging the boat (when new) put em in at an angle

NYBo

Admiral

Any possibility the bolt is bent?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

no this is VERY common.... you can't easily put em in straight without dropping the engine in twice so the hard to access ones get put in crooked.... just how it is