Transom holes don't line up... barely.

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I joined the club and picked up what looks to be a 16' Starcraft SS converted to a center console. I bought it with a seized motor on it (A 1999-2000 Mercury 40hp 4 cyl.) and I had a damn near new 2001 Mercury 40hp 2 cyl. to install on it, but the bottom 2 holes in the transom don't line up perfectly (or the top 2 if you line up the bottom). I know there have been many threads discussing filling in transom holes but my problem, which I couldn't find in a search is that to line up the cavitation plate right my new holes will take up half of the old holes.

Here is a picture to help show what I'm talking about... Any ideas on what to do?

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom holes don't line up... barely.

If you know without any doubt the transom is good I think I'd be tempted to have the mount machined rather than drill any more holes in the transom. :)
Rethink.. If they're both mercury are the mounts interchangable between motors?

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

I'll have to check if they interchange. I know the TT pumps are different though and the setup on the new motor appears to be in much better shape.

Visually, the bracket on the 4cyl. is MUCH bigger then the mount on the 2 cyl.

How can I tell for certain the transom in good? It feels solid but it is a 30ish year old boat. Not sure if it's been replaced or not.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Is the photo the old mount or the new one ? If the motor lines up correctly and you can raise it to match the hole I see ,very little need, to not do that. If you poke around the transom ,and its soft or flakey then you need to replace it. Fairly easy project , lots of advise on this site. The old or new mount looks rough with the expanded hole.If the transom is bad you prob. also need to do the floor. Or if it looks good enjoy it now.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

With motor tilted up grab bottom of shaft and give it a firm shake, check for any flexing of transom. Pretty sure id just use a round file and elongate mount holes though.

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

Is the photo the old mount or the new one ? If the motor lines up correctly and you can raise it to match the hole I see ,very little need, to not do that. If you poke around the transom ,and its soft or flakey then you need to replace it. Fairly easy project , lots of advise on this site. The old or new mount looks rough with the expanded hole.If the transom is bad you prob. also need to do the floor. Or if it looks good enjoy it now.

The mount in the picture is the NEW mount. I can raise the motor to install the bottom bolts, but them the top are off the same amount. No matter how I move the new motor, center to center is just off.

I just cant think of a way to plug the top or bottom holes holes in a way that is sound enough to re-drill half way into it for the new hole. I could use the current top holes and the very bottom hole in the mount to avoid the overlapping hole problem, but then I have 6 1/2" holes in the transom.

The floor does need to be redone but I want to complete the motor installation and water tests before I get too deep into it. I was told the boat does leak a little as well... but that will be a whole different thread when the time comes.

Here is another picture of the entire package the day I picked it up just because I know how we all love pictures. :)

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Cheetah 210 -- His Idea is good . round file the bottom holes only and I would find a piece of Aluminum for both sides and drill the proper holes to match and attach to the outside with 5200 sealer and stainless bolts be sure to washer on the inside of transom to keep nuts from sinking into the transom.

64osby

Admiral

So the pic above is at the proper starting height for the motor. Use top holes fill bottom holes with 5200 or jb weld. Let dry and redrill. More 5200 and bolts.

What happens if you want to raise the motor later?

And if it were me I would want the patch on the upper holes, less exposure to water, easier to work on.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Im 74 years old and rebuilt a lot of boats and the last two were Starcrafts. However this is a motor mounting problem and would be the same with any boat. If the motor on the transom leaves the cavatation plate even with the bottom of the keel leave it and do the drilling of the motor mount to match. In reality the fraction distance you will have ( or not have )will have little or no difference in the performance. The real concern is mounting the motor solid and using your existing holes in the transom as they are. Just do not forget to seal any thing you drill on the boat with 5200.

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

Im 74 years old and rebuilt a lot of boats and the last two were Starcrafts. However this is a motor mounting problem and would be the same with any boat. If the motor on the transom leaves the cavatation plate even with the bottom of the keel leave it and do the drilling of the motor mount to match. In reality the fraction distance you will have ( or not have )will have little or no difference in the performance. The real concern is mounting the motor solid and using your existing holes in the transom as they are. Just do not forget to seal any thing you drill on the boat with 5200.

You'r right... this has become pretty general and should have been posted in a general forum. Non the less... I thank you all for your help. I'll be putting these ideas to use this weekend, and hopefully it will be the kick in the a** I needed to finally start this complete rebuild.

Again, Thanks

Rick

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Did not mean your posted in the wrong list, only ment to say the motor mounting would apply to any boat Aluminum or glass. Now get busy!

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

I'm excited to get going on this project... I got the boat over 4 months ago, and just couldn't find the drive to get going with it. I may be able to water test it this weekend if I kick some butt!

barato2

Commander

hey Rick--

there are several of us in the process of trying to convert an SS/Holiday to a CC. i'd love to see all the pix you have of your console area and anything else that might be instructive.

to fill the holes, i'd use epoxy and some glass cloth stuffed tightly into the hole, after you sand the inside of hole to bare wood and install some stainless or brass screws into the hole at an angle (so the heads stick into the hole area, then bend or grind em so they're flush with transom)....this will anchor your patch in place. i love JBWeld but always wonder about it in salt water applications since i think it does contain steel.

Slick Rick

Seaman Apprentice

hey Rick--

there are several of us in the process of trying to convert an SS/Holiday to a CC. i'd love to see all the pix you have of your console area and anything else that might be instructive.

I'll take a bunch of pictures and start a new thread for the boat this weekend. I'll say right off the bat... the CC was made by the original owner and is no where near fancy. The front has a raised deck with under storage and the most forward section of the bow is sectioned off with its own lid for storage. They used thick wood, but didn't seal it, just painted so thats obviously chipping. I really like the front deck dimensions, but the doors they put in are crap. The entire boat just looks tired and weathered, mostly due to bad painting.

The previous owner said the placement of the center console was great, so those dimensions might help somebody.

I really have no idea what kind of Starcraft this is... so maybe you guys could help me identify it as well!

-Rick