1971 25 hp Johnson 25R71S

I have finally found a bigger motor for my boat for a very good price. I am going to be getting it sometime next week.

It's a 71 25hp Johnson, short shaft, tiller handle.

1st question does the R in the model number mean remote steer/start? From looking over the parts listings it does not appear to have been made with the remote steer. But this motor has the 5 prong plug in on the front of the lower cowl for what I assume was a wiring harness. Underneath the hood there is the starter, but I do not see a solenoid. So I guess it was added later on.

If i can get a solenoid for this motor, is it possible to rewire the wiring harness plug in to be a push button start?

The motor starts and runs fine as is with the pull start, I would just love for the option of electric start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pictures

photo(13).jpgphoto(14).jpgphoto(15).JPGphoto(16).jpg

kbait

Commander
Re: 1971 25 hp Johnson 25R71S

R is for rope start. Apparently the e-starter was added later. You'll need the solenoid, and it should be easily obtainable at a salvage yard. I use tim's outboard 218-682-2331. They've never let me down!

also, you can go to boats dot net and find a zoomable schematic for your motor's electrical system. Good luck!

And jump the starter first before ordering parts in case the starter is toast.

kbait

Commander

When you call tim's, have the model number handy. They'll know.

fleetfeetdf

Recruit

Wow, this tread is 2011!!! I'm wanting to put a starter system on my 25R71S also but putting that kind of money in it, not sure. I will call Tim's and see what he has to say.