Evinrude 40hp not been started in 10yrs and no prop.

col681

Cadet
Hi, I've recently purchased a 40hp Evinrude Worktwin, it was a spare engine which hasn't been used in 10yrs, the owner tried to get it going 2yrs ago and it was off a cylinder then. Problem is I can't work out which year it is or where to get a manual for it, I've checked the model number which makes it a 2006 model (E40RLSD) which I know it isnt, could the bracket have been changed maybe?

Theres been a few threads here about the Worktwin so I'm hoping you kind people could lead me in the right direction.

Also there is no propeller with it (don't know which size I need) I've been trying to get one but the shaft has no splines, I'll try and get some pictures taken.

The number on the silver disc under the cowl is c0024450 and the serial number is c7117500.

I really hope you guys can help.

Oh and I've been a lurker on this forum for years, just getting around to say hi to you all now, just sorry it's with a question.

Thanks and I appreciate you reading this.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40hp not been started in 10yrs and no prop.

Well, that looks like an early 70's vintage. That has the earlier style single wall mid section like the older 33hp Ski Twins and Johnson Norsemans. Those are great motors though and based on the older reliable and simple to work on technology. The ignition most likely still has the old universal type coils in it which are easy and inexpensive to replace. Waterpump impellers are pretty much the same type used since 1955. This is most likely the old syle 33hp style engine that's been punched out to a 40hp. If you'll look on the head, you'll probably find no thermostat on that motor.

BTW, Welcome to iBoats.

col681

Cadet

I've just created a photobucket account so here's some pics of the actual engine, I've also shown the starter. I'm assuming (although I haven't taken the flywheel off that it has points, is electronic ignition available or should I stick with the points in your opinion? Thanks for your time, I appreciate your help.

Should I replace all gaskets on an engine thats been not started in so long?

Also on my first inspection there's no spark.

heres the pics, I havent figured out how to add them here yet :confused:

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz104/col45155/Evinrude/

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I would pull the flywheel and see how things looks. If it does have the old points and coil type ignition, then I would stay with it. I would remove the plugs and spray a bunch of fuel mix into the carb and cylinders to get lubrication around all the moving parts to loosen things up. Then take a compression test. You want the readings as close to same as possible and no more than 10% different from each other.

As far as gaskets go, I would check the lower unit oil and make sure there is no water intrusion. If not, then you should be fine. I would definately replace the impeller. It looks like that power head has been replaced with a Johnson powerhead in the past. That stands the reason why the number off of the round disk didn't make out to me. It looks like you have a good usable motor though.

col681

Cadet

I wonder where I could source a manual? I have some motorbike mechanic friends but little mechanical knowledge myself, if this is a Johnson head that would explain some problems I'm having sourcing a diagram, though the 2006 model number on the bracket still puzzles me.

Zephyr you're a gentleman and I thank you.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, that motor is probably between a mid 70's to about 1980. Sourcing a manual would be good to find at eBay. The Ken Cook Company sells lots of these manuals, but they are a bit pricey. You'll want a factory service manual, if you can find one.

That lower unit looks interesting. Is that the split case type with a sleeker design? That motor shares a lot of similarities in design to the older big twins, but that lower unit looks a bit different.

So, where abouts are you and where did you find this classic?

col681

Cadet

I'm in the UK (North Ireland), just came across it advertised locally saying it was a spare motor on a fish farm so I couldn't let the oppertunity pass by. I was wondering about the split leg myself and the seller says it can easily be converted to short shaft.

Is it possible to trace the actual powerhead model from the number on the silver disc as knowing my luck I'd buy the wrong manual lol.
Thanks

Edit to add.

Are these engines ok to run on unleaded and what mixture are they.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi col681. The conversion from long to short is pretty easy. You will have to get a new, shorter drive shaft and lower shift rod, but that's it. You simply remove the exhaust extension along with the old, long drive shaft and lower shift rod and replace them with the new, shorter/normal versions. I would suggest you try to find a donor motor to get the parts from, of course you can always check ebay, aomci.org, etc... If you give us the number on the sliver disc you described we should be able to help ID it more accurately. You may also want to look on the transom clamp to see if there is a tag riveted on there. It's usually on the left side and and should have both the model # and serial #. With any luck it will be an older, early 70's model with the universal magneto ignition. They are super reliable and easy to work on. However, around the mid to late '70s they started to "improve" the ignition systems with varying degrees of success and reliability. Some models with the newer ignitions can actually be converted back into the old style, universal magneto, if so desired. The engines are perfectly fine to run unleaded, 87 octane gas (a.k.a. "petrol" ;) ) and you probably want to run a 50:1 mix (approx. 3 fl. oz. outboard, 2-stroke motor oil to 1 US gallon of fuel) (don't know the metric conversion, sorry :/ ) although you may want to run tank batch of gas through at 24:1 with some Sea Foam in it to help relube the interior workings a bit. Get us a model # and report back and we'll take it from there.

col681

Cadet

Hi kfa thanks for your reply,

The number on the silver disc under the cowl is c0024450, on the clamp the serial is c7117500 and the model is E40RLSD, making me think it could be a different transom clamp as it's definately not a 2006 motor?

pics here http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz104/col45155/Evinrude/

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a pic of the cowl?

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definately not a 2006....:(

mark1961

Ensign

Assuming the cowl is original.....the motor in the ebay listing is a '79 commercial motor......if yours is exactly the same this is what you have. Manuals are hard to find for these early commercials, at least one manual seller on ebay in the US of A lists one, may have been for 40 worktwin.....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hi col681. The conversion from long to short is pretty easy. You will have to get a new, shorter drive shaft and lower shift rod, but that's it. You simply remove the exhaust extension along with the old, long drive shaft and lower shift rod and replace them with the new, shorter/normal versions. I would suggest you try to find a donor motor to get the parts from, of course you can always check ebay, aomci.org, etc... If you give us the number on the sliver disc you described we should be able to help ID it more accurately. You may also want to look on the transom clamp to see if there is a tag riveted on there. It's usually on the left side and and should have both the model # and serial #. With any luck it will be an older, early 70's model with the universal magneto ignition. They are super reliable and easy to work on. However, around the mid to late '70s they started to "improve" the ignition systems with varying degrees of success and reliability. Some models with the newer ignitions can actually be converted back into the old style, universal magneto, if so desired. The engines are perfectly fine to run unleaded, 87 octane gas (a.k.a. "petrol" ;) ) and you probably want to run a 50:1 mix (approx. 3 fl. oz. outboard, 2-stroke motor oil to 1 US gallon of fuel) (don't know the metric conversion, sorry :/ ) although you may want to run tank batch of gas through at 24:1 with some Sea Foam in it to help relube the interior workings a bit. Get us a model # and report back and we'll take it from there.

If you're lucky, that motor has the long shift coupler and converting it to a short shaft will be easier yet and you won't have to go into the gearcase. If it's a factory long shaft, then it might have the longer lower shift rod, like my '59 Johnson and then you'll have to open the gearcase up and replace the lower shift rod. You'll also have to change the water pick up tube(s) as well.

col681

Cadet

Definately not a 2006....:(

I know it's not a 2006, it's '75 - '80 as zephyr stated :)

Just to clarify a couple of points, I don't want to convert it to short shaft and the only reason I posted the Ebay link is because I didn't have pictures at the time, that's not my engine it just has the same cowl :)

Thanks all

col681

Cadet

If you're lucky, that motor has the long shift coupler and converting it to a short shaft will be easier yet and you won't have to go into the gearcase. If it's a factory long shaft, then it might have the longer lower shift rod, like my '59 Johnson and then you'll have to open the gearcase up and replace the lower shift rod. You'll also have to change the water pick up tube(s) as well.

Yes it has the coupler - but as I need longshaft it's not an issue.
I'm gonna work below the flywheel this week and will take pics.

thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, that's good. Converting it over would cut too much into your fishing time ;) It's a decent looking motor and should offer you lots of good service. I wouldn't mind finding a 40 of the early 70's vintage myself. I have a couple of the older Super Quiet ones, but oddly enough, I haven't yet seen one of these. The ones we have here are just a bigger bore version of the 1970 33hp Ski Twin.

So, you're an Irishman huh? Awesome!! I think it would be a blast to meet up with one of you guys and toss down some beers :D

Say hello to the Irish Rovers for me ;)

col681

Cadet

Assuming the cowl is original.....the motor in the ebay listing is a '79 commercial motor, manuals are hard to find for early commercials, at least one manual seller on ebay in the US of A lists one, may have been for 40 worktwin.....

Mark,
I'm starting to wonder if it may be a johnson powerhead? I just want to source the right manual, any and all help is appreaciated.

Thanks

col681

Cadet

Well, that's good. Converting it over would cut too much into your fishing time ;) It's a decent looking motor and should offer you lots of good service. I wouldn't mind finding a 40 of the early 70's vintage myself. I have a couple of the older Super Quiet ones, but oddly enough, I haven't yet seen one of these. The ones we have here are just a bigger bore version of the 1970 33hp Ski Twin.

So, you're an Irishman huh? Awesome!! I think it would be a blast to meet up with one of you guys and toss down some beers :D

Say hello to the Irish Rovers for me ;)

There'll be a Guinness here waiting for you and plenty of fishin' :)

mark1961

Ensign

Mark,
I'm starting to wonder if it may be a johnson powerhead? I just want to source the right manual, any and all help is appreaciated.

Thanks

Based on the numbers you posted beginning with "C" the powerhead is still a commercial.....whether it be an Evinrude or Johnson probably makes no difference.....