prop and outdrive help/questions with recently purchased boat

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice
Hello and thanks for helping. First post so please be easy :)

I just purchased a 1989 Wellcraft Eclipse 23 foot and the prop is a little bent on the tips. So I wanted to replace it. The motor is a 5.7, V8 merc engine, rated at 260 HP(i think). The boat weighs 4000lbs. I have already checked the prop for existing dimensions, but was unable to find anything on it.

Any suggestions on a general, good all around, all purpose prop? What would the manufactor have put on it when it came from the factory? What pitch and size?

Also the outdrive has about 2 inches of play in it. I am able to move it by hand, from side to side, about 2-3 inches. Is this ok? After the push through the free travel I can push a little harder and i am able to see the steering wheel move.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks again
Paul

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop and outdrive help/questions with recently purchased boat

Hey Paul, welcome aboard!

Well hmmmmmmm, a few things we need to deal with here:

1) the prop.

Take a look at the sticky above and it will become a little more clear why there is never really a "stock" prop for any boat. They are really based on load and application even if on the same hull. The guy with 8 fat kids vs. the guy who cruises alone with his skinny trophy wife is enough to make a significant difference. Plus the data on what was shipped is rarely available as that could've been, and probably was, a dealer choice.

You can take a look at the back of the prop hub and there is usually some indication there. I am guessing something like 14 x 19 . . . diameter and pitch, but this is only a guess!! Also, no guarantee that what was on there will work for you unless you're the original owner and it has always run "right" (technically means that it operates within the correct WOT window)

It might be best to try and carefully straighten out the little bends so that we could get some data to work from.

What we we really need is the model (Bravo or Alpha), the correct rating (probably not a 260, left over nomenclature from old rating system), and the gear ratio. My guess is 5.7 carbed with an Alpha, and probably a 230 rating. But the Eclipse often had Bravos a little later, but usually with Big Blocks only.

2) The steering "slop"

This is probably wear in your Gimbal Ring. You should post that separately in the Merc I/O section. It needs attention.

Good luck!!!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also the outdrive has about 2 inches of play in it. I am able to move it by hand, from side to side, about 2-3 inches. Is this ok?

This could be an issue... and should probably be another thread by itself in the mercruiser section. But anyways, you need to look for worn or loose parts in the steering system. But just FYI, my Glastron and Stingray have some slack when transitioning from left to right... but never feels loose.

That prop has numbers somewhere... on the outside of the hub between the blades. Or in the throat of the hub by the nut. What did the motor turn when you would run her flat out?

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

thanks!

Someone said it could be the gimbal housing? Could that be right? If thats the problem how much would that be to replace??

thanks again

QC

Supreme Mariner

I posted that it could be the Gimbal Ring (not hsg). You need to repost that piece of your question in the I/O section. They'll get that nailed down for you :)