Loran Td Help

bmoney23

Cadet
I have an older handeld standard horizon magnum Nav-40 it has been a great unit untill i have tried using a friends Loran Td's numbers. After i change the location format to loran Td another screen comes up where i can change my Grid which is no problem the gulf of mexico grid i use is 7980 but when i try and change TD station 1 And 2 it only has the options of either x,w,y,or z. my buddy who i got the numbers from said their should be numbers and that the first station should be set around 14,000 and the second station should be around 46,000 The whole loran concept is over my head any help would be greatly appreciated.mag.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Loran Td Help

Loran doesn't exist any more.

http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=loranMain

TERMINATION OF U.S. LORAN-C SIGNALS:
In accordance with the 2010 DHS Appropriations Act, the U.S. Coast Guard terminated the transmission of all U.S. LORAN-C signals on 08 Feb 2010.

TERMINATION OF RUSSIAN AMERICAN LORAN-CHAYKA SIGNALS:
The U.S. Coast Guard transmission of the Russian American signal was terminated on 01 Aug 2010.

TERMINATION OF CANADIAN COAST LORAN-C SIGNALS:
The U.S. Coast Guard transmission of Canadian LORAN-C signals was terminated
on 03 Aug 2010.

NYBo

Admiral

LORAN-C transmissions were discontinued in the US almost 2 years ago.

jhebert

Ensign

Let me try to help you with your question rather than tell you something you probably already knew.

In the LORAN 7980 chain the stations were designated as follows:

MASTER = MALONE
WHISKEY = GRANGEVILLE
XRAY = RAYMONDVILLE
YANKEE = JUPITER
ZULU = CAROLINA BEACH

Cf.: http://megapulse.com/chaininfo.html

In LORAN nomenclature the delays were referenced to subordinate stations using the designators W, X, Y, and Z. Your data from a friend using nomenclature "1" and "2" does not make any sense. You will need to deduce what stations he was referring to with his designators "1" and "2", and then perhaps you could enter the data into the conversion calculator. Perhaps your friend's data uses "1" for WHISKEY and "2" for XRAY. You could try a few permutations and see what results make sense.

It would be much simpler to just use an old chart that has LORAN overlays printed on it. You could easily deduce the position from the chart.

Even simpler, just find the approximate position of the shoal or reef on a chart and read the LAT and LONG from the chart.

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or just get the Lat and Lon instead of the TD from the Loran unit.

NYBo

Admiral

Or just throw the thing in the trash and buy a GPS.
His Standard Horizon Magnum Nav-40 is a GPS unit!

But I can't figure out exactly what his friend has provided him. :confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

His Standard Horizon Magnum Nav-40 is a GPS unit!

Jeeeezzzzz!!!!!

Very confusing topic.

Even if he could counvert the TDs to Lat/Long, he could be way off by up to a 1/4 mile.