fair price to pay

h@nnaha12

Cadet
What would be a fair price to pay for 1958 Johnson 50 HP V4 electric start?

good condition
some rust interior and exterior
motor not run for 10+ years
not restored

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: fir price to pay

It depends on why you want it. As a motor for daily use just because you are in the market for a motor...almost nothing...maybe it's weight in scrap. If you have a boat that you are restoring and it needs a vintage motor...then still very little... it just depends on how desperate you are.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A non running motor of that vintage is worth little to nothing. $50 maybe.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The trim on the hood is worth $50, if good. The spark plug doors are rare.

h@nnaha12

Cadet

It depends on why you want it. As a motor for daily use just because you are in the market for a motor...almost nothing...maybe it's weight in scrap. If you have a boat that you are restoring and it needs a vintage motor...then still very little... it just depends on how desperate you are.

thanks Don... i have since learnd that it was restored several years ago and has been run in the past 2-3 years and is in good condition. in your opinion, what may be a fair price to offer for a motor as this

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those motors are still around mostly because they were overbuilt. I dropped one into saltwater while it was running at high speed and it got over it. try that with a newer motor.

The problem with those motors is they use a ton of fuel in comparison to a newer motor and the shift dog in the gearcase is succeptable to wear. Replacement dogs and gears are expensive if yu can find them. You will also never get much speed out of them, no matter what kind of boat you ask them to push. It will push a speedboat or a barge at 27MPH, tops.

I have had two of them, and would pass on it.