Hold wire with thumb and fore finger and
have wife crank motor
LOL

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark tester

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Why bother? You can buy one at most auto parts stores for about five bucks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I agree with Jay and was about to say the same thing. They are under $10 to buy. That's what I would do unless you cant get to a store.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He will probably have to make one. Dubai doesn't have auto parts on every corner like we do.

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

(Spark Tester - Home Made)

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4
Thanks Joe simple now I know how.
Cheers

Thanks all for the input, some good ideas
Ben

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

He will probably have to make one. Dubai doesn't have auto parts on every corner like we do.

Never been there, but my impression is that Dubai is a pretty sophisticated place. I would think they have auto parts stores!

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i got one at west marine for about $5, by the time you fiddle around with finding scrap materials around the house to make it and to put it together you could have ran to the store got one made for that job, have tested for spark, and be drinking a beer