Fuel line

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm thinking of removing the fuel quick connect on my Mercury 115 and just going with a solid line from the squeeze ball to the fuel pump, to eliminate any potential problem from air leaks.
Any negatives to doing this? The only problem I see, is how I would seal the entrance to the cowl.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel line

I wouldn't do that, phebus. Though air leaks are a potential performance problem there are several safety issues if you can't make a quick disconnect without leakage.

Make sure your clamps are sound and the "O" rings are good and you should be fine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have both my V6 motors set up without quick disconnects. Obviously both have built in fuel tanks. I think it eliminates potential air leakage and possible fuel starvation issues.
I am not sure why JB has recommended against it.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can give you one good reason: Fire. Without the ability to disconnect the fuel line, what's to stop a fire with a supply of fuel coming throuogh the line??

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just don't understand why it would be any different then any I/O application or any big outboard application. The tank is built in and fixed in place, and the engine is fixed in place and not clamped on. If anything, I think it would be safer then any I/O application, as it is all vented to atmosphere and couldn't trap any vapors.

My dilema would be how to seal the cowling to prevent water intrusion. Presently there is a fitting in the cowl and just a fuel line would allow a void that would need to be sealed.

Thanks

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You asked for negatives. I gave you some. You are welcome.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is on fire, I may approach to blast it with a fire extinguisher, but I will doubt I would be concerned about disconnecting the fuel line. I think the protocol is it hit it with extinguisher from as far away as practical and then jump overboard, if the fire is not out.

When the motor is off, it is not pumping fuel anyway...

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I considered doing this with my fuel line, but then I realized that the only disconnect I'd have is at the tank and I would have to burn an entire line's worth (and separator's worth) of fuel to run out the carbs.

Replace those old bayonets with their worn-out o-rings and you won't have any more air leaks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't recommend the OP run that multiple carb motor dry.