97 cavalier p0507

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
getting a p0507 code from the obdII scan tool. now this has a new throttle position sensor and all. Now when I drive when im going over 45 or so when I take my foot off the gas pedal i feel a shutter like the gear getting negative resistance or whatever. If I clear the code with my scan tool as im driving then let my foot off the gas It does not do it. so I know its not something physically wrong its most likely a sensor. I can leave my scan tool pluged into the port and the problem disapears as soon as I clear that p0507 code. But as soon as I come to a stop for more than about 30 seconds I get the p0507 code again. Then when I get up to speed when i let off the gas real fast I feel that little shutter again and i can keep doing it. But as soon as I clear that code one second later I can not make it do that shutter and that is the way its supposed to be. So my question is what could be causing the code Im guessing its a sensor or something. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 97 cavalier p0507

A P0507 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

A vacuum leak
Leaking air intake after the throttle body
EGR valve leaking vacuum
A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body
Failed EVAP system
Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit

I had a 97 Cavalier years ago. I put several crank and cam position and various other sensors in it chasing different trouble codes. Turned out to be the ECM was having intermittent problems. My problem was fixed by replaceing the ECM. You may want to check the items on the list above. It may (hopefully) be a loose vac line or something. Good luck, hope you get it fixed without any major expense.

dolluper

Captain

Ok the only thing you have changed is the TPS correct...snap adjust done ,relearn missing.....disconnect battery 2 minutes then reconnect ,start car let idle till warmed up then hold throttle open at 1500rpm for about 15 secs,back to idle up to 2000 rpm 15 secs back to idle up to 1500 rpm 15 secs back to idle ....then drive the car on highway2 miles and back on side streets{stop and go hopefully}let us know after

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

dolluper, it did work temporarily, as soon as the car got to normal operating temp and I was going more than 40 mph it would start again. Only when I let my foot off the gas do I get a little shutter. I can plug my scan tool in whyle I am driving and clear the P0507 and the shutter problem goes away just like that. It will start again next time I come to a stop for maybe more than 30 seconds or so. It is a pain in the but the car is running good except for that little shutter and the fact that its using more gas than it should. just wondering what my next step should be? Thanks in advance!!