1996 Johnson 48 outboard won't start and trim won't work, batteries fully charged.

I have a 1996 Johnson 48 outboard motor on a Cajun Special fishing boat. Last week we drove the boat out to go fishing and it worked fine; however when we tried to start the boat up to drive back, it wouldn't turn over and the trim buttons (neither the trim button on the throttle, nor on the motor itself) would work. The batteries are fully charged. I have heard that this could be the result of a blown fuse. I checked the motor and located 2 relays, but autozone said they did not have a way to see if the relays were bad. Are there fuses elsewhere on the motor? Any other suggestions? FYI, we did recently add trim fluid the previous day.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 48 outboard won't start and trim won't work, batteries fully charged

Inline of one of the small RED wires leading from the starter solenoid is the main 20 amp power fuse, just a few inches from the solenoid. Check it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Johnson 48 outboard won't start and trim won't work, batteries fully charged

Howdy, EBM.

Welcome to iboats. :)

I would agree with Joe, but I think he overlooked your statement that the starter would not turn over.

If both the trim motor and the starter are not running, but the starter solenoid is clicking you most likely have a bad battery cable connection, hot or ground. Take both ends of both cables off, check them for weak or swollen spots, scrub the connectors shiny and reconnect.