Plastic water pump base STUCK!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Do you guys have any ideas on what to do to get a water pump base up without cracking the plastic? The seal in the bottom of the base is stuck and I dont know what other methods to do to try and separate them. (Mercury 650 thunderbolt) In the newer models they have a place to screw a screw into that pops the base up, but not on this one..... I'd send pictures if I could find my damn camera! :facepalm:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Plastic water pump base STUCK!

Also, if I do end up breaking it, can I use an aluminum base that I got off of my bad lower unit? The pattern and shape are exactly alike.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can usually walk them up and out with a couple of screwdrivers to pry with.Be sure and remove the plastic drain plug first as it does not have clearance while installed in the water pump base.If you buy the waterpump kit first it may have instructions in it for you.Ron G

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks man. Ill try again today. I sprayed some gasket dissolver in it, hopefully that helps release the bond. I am just scared to hear that "crack'!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the flush plug is removed as it goes thru side of housing into water pump base....

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Make sure the flush plug is removed as it goes thru side of housing into water pump base....

Flash, this model L/U doesnt have the flush plug that goes into the housing/base as do the older models.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Any other tips guys cause its just not happening. I can only pry from one end, and it is too small to get a screwdriver in far enough.:confused: I have a waterpump kit, and it has everything except the base............. I definately dont want to crack it, but if I do I guess Ill go aluminum...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Two wide screwdrivers working on each end of the waterpump, at the same time will usually pop it out. There area a few places where the plastic base is larger than the gearcase casting. That is where the screwdrivers can fit to pop it loose.

Sounds like it is old enough to warrant replacement anyway, as the driveshaft seals do not last forever. The waterpump base is sold seperately. I would get a new one, but that is just me...

merc850

Commander

If the lower unit is full of lube a hydraulic lock might be holding it down, try removing the vent screw then 2 screwdriver prying.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah thanks guys, I ended up getting it out. The plastic seems to be warped, so I was going to use the aluminum base, but guess what, the round part that goes into the driveshaft bearing slot is a different size. So that is another difference, besides gear ratio, of the L4 and L6 motors of the Late60's-80's...... I went ahead and ordered a new waterpump base.