I need a Bad weather enclosure . Make one / buy one?

gringo1

Recruit
I want a bad weather fishing enclosure for my 1982 20' campion. (like trophy). But i have no idea where to buy one. Anyone ever made one or had one made anywhere?

Thanks in advance

Greg

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I need a Bad weather enclousre . Make one / buy one?

Your friendly local upholstery shop,or maybe the local boat dealer will know .

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Take a look at Bond-o's enclosure in an earlier thread about making a bimini...

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have actually made a camper top for my boat, started with a bimini top and 2 boat covers, paid $7.50 scrap price for the frame and the canvas and covers were obsolete so they were free, set the top on the boat and started pinning pieces to it till I had a top.

I used my wifes Brother sewing machine to sew it, it was a major PITA and had I broken one more needle I would have surely burned in hell, invented many new words in the process but now I have a foldable four sided top with zippers on all four corners, and windows all around, you can put down 1,2,3 or all 4 walls depending on conditions and when you are done you just roll up the sides and fold it back on the boat and you are done.

As I said it was a major pain to make but very well worth it, it can be done but you need a fairly high order of mechanical aptitude, I have pics up heere somewhere on an old post but no time now to put them up again.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

depends on what kind of conditions you are running it through, and your skills, equipment and time.

Around here, a "bad weather enclosure for fishing" requires something that will keep you dry in 40 mph wind (15 mph conditions plus boat speed of 25) and handle being removed or put out of the way while fishing, anchoring, etc. Few home-made jobs that work while anchored will survive that. Buy one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is one of those things that is well worth it (albeit expensive for sure) to pay a pro for. I've been amazed by the custom enclosures some of our members here. At least one of our members, Fireman431, is an upholsterer.

gringo1

Recruit

Anyone have any links to a dealer? Since it's old Campion isn't making anything so I need to look around. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As noted, take it to a local upholstery shop. Onc be made from scratch or attachments made to an existing bimini. You don't indicate where your at, but it has to be close enough to a few shops to get bids or quotes.

When getting bids, make sure all elements are being taken into account. SS hardware, tie backs, removable spray curtains, storage boots, etc. Make sure everything is spelled out so there are no surprises.

hobie161

Recruit

I want a bad weather fishing enclosure for my 1982 20' campion. (like trophy). But i have no idea where to buy one. Anyone ever made one or had one made anywhere?

Thanks in advance

Greg

I'm thinking of the the same thing. My idea is a set of bows and clear vinyl. Solar heated and good visibility.

Kent

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Making it entirely from vinyl won't work, at least for very long before it tears or cracks and also it will be a bear to sew and the thread will most likely rip right out.

Found some pics of the one I made, now keep in mind I did this entirely by myself with my wifes Brother sewing machine and the only actual part I started with was a bimini top, it was not fun but worth every bit of the trouble.

One pic is set up looking from the back of the boat to inside, one it is in bimini form and the last one is how I run when it could rain but isn't yet, man am I glad I painted the boat, I almost forgot it was ever that baby poop yellow.

I still giggle when I am sitting outside in October fishing wiht the yemp at 45 and raining and I am nice and dry and warm.

Attachments

• P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P4060468.jpg
    P4060468.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • burn90.jpg
    burn90.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

nlain

Commander

I had one made for my boat, it came with the bimini, they made panels that attach to the bimini with zippers and zipper together and used existing snaps on the boat with a few added to the windshield. It is worth every penny I paid for it when I want to go boating in cool weather days which can occur anytime from OCT to March or April. They used Sunbrella canvas with Strataglass panels. The center panel over walk thru windshield rolls up and there are windows in the side panels that can roll up.

2007_0209Image0003.jpg

2007_0209Image0002.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's an all around super nice canvas setup right there nlain ^^^^

nlain

Commander

Thanks ezmobee

gringo1

Recruit
Re: I need a Bad weather enclosure . Make one / buy one?

awesome enclosures nlain and 5150abf! I especially like how much room is in both for people to move around. You know as well as I that off the coast of WA it gets ugly and trolling for salmon both guys want to get out of the weather. I am going to try to find a bimini pole setup and make my own. I got a guy that used to make them for sunbrella that now does side work. Just got to find the material now. You guys have been great and I think this is the best site!