Time to cut my losses?

Time to cut my losses?

• Leave the car with them to try and make it right.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Pick the car up and find a shop that can do it correctly.

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Well, they finally called to tell me they were ready for me to see my car today in the body shop.

I pull into the dealership and my car (convertible) is sitting outside (all night) with a half inch of snow on it. This car has never even seen rain and I made it clear with zero wiggle room it was not to be left out in the weather and if needed I would pay storage on it. I was not ?happy? about that at all.

I get out and take a good look and everywhere my eyes fall I see issues. There isn?t a single body panel they have touched that now lines up properly. Where the panels meet (seams) one end will be touching and the other end has a ?? or more gap.

There are edges that were not right when they came out of the molds (fiberglass parts) and one body panel has a ? chunk gone on the edge. The bumper / facial has the headlight rubber seal pushed in (it will tear eventualy) and the other side has a ?? gap. There are places in it that the imperfections show through the new primer/paint.

On the side that was damaged, the gap between the fender and hood isn?t even and when you run your hand down the seam the hood dips a good ?? below the fender about mid-way down the seam.

The drivers mirror was hit, they took it off, and then put it back on leaving the chips in it. (Oops, we forgot.)

With the body shop foreman present I got in the car, turned the heater blower on high and gave the dash a solid whack and body dust came pouring out of the defroster vents and covered the entire dash. I didn?t even bother to try and see if there was fiberglass in it, I know there is from my previous inspections.

I and the body shop manager went in and talked and he said it was because some of the parts are after market and they had done the best they could. I replied, what about the panels that were not replaced but taken off. Why don?t they line up properly? He said, they were probably like that from the factory and you never noticed. Wrong, I can?t count the hours I?ve spent washing and waxing it and I know every square inch of the car and insisted we go back out and look again. I pointed out the undamaged side had no such issue ANYWHERE in it and the damaged side didn?t either before the accident. He finally agreed they needed to do a better job of fitting them. (DUH)

I said I did agree that the third party parts were not up to snuff (they are horrible) but as the body shop foreman, the parts should never have been painted or put on the car when you could see the obvious flaws before even starting on them. He didn?t respond.

So here I am, the car will have been in their shop two full months come Monday and as far as I am concerned is no more ready today than it was day one. (I?ve NEVER heard of a car being in a body shop that long, even when there are problems!) I called my insurance man and he is coming to look at it with me Monday morning. I?ve made him aware my belief is this shop / dealership is clueless about working on a fiberglass body and it?s time to cut the loses and take it to a shop that can do it properly. He is not in favor of that due to increased costs.

So, what do you all think, give them more time to make it right or just admit it?s time to cut loses and take it somewhere else and deal with the financial issues later? (Probably in court)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: Time to cut my loses?

I'd wait until the Adjuster sees it....you said he was an old body-guy himself.
If he was any good, he'll see the same things as you have and there may be no battle at all....:)

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a feeling you are going to be at a loss here. Don't want to sound pessimistic, but the Adjuster may see it as "good enough". I know you want perfection, but the only way you are going to get that is do it yourself or pay. The insurance company returns it to a suitable condition. They like to say the same condition as before the damage occured but most of the time that it incorrect.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

depends on age, condition, value.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you need the adjuster's input before you decide anything.

Summer Fun

Banned

Bubba, It could be raining DOLLARS and YOU'D get hit by a PENNY. :facepalm: . :D

I don't think that it is going to be done correctly by this shop, and have a feeling the adjuster is going to be looking out for the insurance company not you.
I would also want/expect a perfect job, especially from the dealership! The car shouldn't have been painted if the parts were not ready for it, and they rushed it hoping you wouldn't notice. They need to put a more experienced body man on it and if they don't have anyone else the results will probably be the same next time around.

Good Luck with it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

depends on age, condition, value.
Welcome aboard Cheetah. Hate to say it, but you stumbled into a buzz saw. Let's just say, new, perfect and high . . . take it from there :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Dang Bubba, you know that ol' saying: if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. (I've felt that way a couple of times...)

It sure doesn't seem like the dealership is taking this repair too seriously. I hope everything comes out all right in the end,,, when ever that might be...

Just throwing this out there for amusement of the peanut gallery in iboats land. What if the ins co says enough is enough, throws in the towel and decides to total out the car. I'm not sure they could even do that at this point, but would a nice fat check be better than a 1/2 azz repaired car?

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks.
New, perfect and high id want a perfect repair and the time its been at the shop it should be. Id be calling insurance HQ.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi guys, havent been around in a while but my $.02, if you want it, is what some others have said wait for the adjuster.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

My take on it:

First of all, the whole purpose of auto insurance coverage on your car is to be able to return it to it's condition before the claimed damage with a check from the insurance company to you or the shop for the agreed settlement amount less the deductible. Not repairing it to a condition better than it was or not worse than it was, simply as good as it was.

If the shop or dealer you bring it to can't perform that task, however unfortunate it may be, you will have to climb the management food chain there and get the adjuster very involved. It sounds like you've gone as far as you can with the management at the shop. Then it's the insurance company's obligation and, bottom line, their job to make sure you're satisfied to the extent of your covered damages per you policy if the shop is recommended by the ins co. This is a particularly good thing if they have a good shop to recommend because they will also stand behind the shop's warranty. If you found your own shop it's different. The ins co will give you a check for the agreed amount of damages and once you cash that check, that's basically the extent of their liability for the claim.

It sounds like the place you ended up with is just a lemon of a shop. I think the key is to get the adjuster and their manager, if necessary, involved until it's right. Give them that chance.

Do you have any pictures or video of the car you can show them to dispute some of the things they said were like that before?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would take it as far as you can, even if it meant going to court. This is ABSURD.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I pull into the dealership and my car (convertible) is sitting outside (all night) with a half inch of snow on it.

Unbelievable. Do not let this place touch one single other thing. Tell your insurance company this shop is not capable of doing the work. Let them sort it out.

dolluper

Captain

I don't think the courts would be to happy if you don't let the shop have a chance to make it good...plus your adjuster will probably not allow repairs made elsewhere.right now wait and see what the adjuster says...I'm sure he can make the shop do a much better job if he's not pressured by ins company

TilliamWe

Banned

Bubba, it's your car, you can have it repaired anywhere you want. You ALWAYS had that right, and you never should have given up that right.

I'll say nothing else on this matter, as I know your mind is already made up and you are heading down a long dark road that is going to make you mad and frustrated.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Don't forget pictures Bubba I wanna see how bad it is, leave the guns at home during your meeting though......

Good Luck big guy!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

buddy.....i feel for you......but every thing we said would happen did....talk to the adjustor and let it play out.....but i think the dealership will have a new used car on the lot.

oh.....take pics for court.....including the snow.

that dealership has a serious lack of comunication from the bosses to the minions

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I guess it's a good thing the weather won't be good for dropping the top for 5 months or so. Sounds like it might take a while to get this straightened out. (no pun intended):facepalm: If I had a crystal ball, I'd say I see lawyers in your near future!:rolleyes: