88 spl - new starter solenoid rapidly clicking when hooked to starter

hurbold29

Cadet
I have a '96 88 SPL, that I've been having a hard time getting to turn over. The starter seemed to not have enough juice to turn the flywheel, which caused me to end up pulling the lower unit, turning the flywheel by hand without plugs, etc. After a water pump replacement, everything seems to check out except:

I have gone through the starting circuit troubleshooting in my service manuals and those suggested on this forum. I opened and cleaned the starter and cleaned/repaired all connections and grounds that I could find. Voltage to the starter was very low, around 2.5 volts. I tested the solenoid and made the determination (right or wrong) that it was bad. I purchased another solenoid and installed it. With everything hooked up, the solenoid now simply clicks rapidly with the key turned to the start position, and the voltage is still testing at around 2.5 volts. With the positive cable disconnected from the starter post, the solenoid clicks once when the key is turned to start, and sends 12 volts through the positive cable, appearing to function correctly.

Any advice on what the problem might be, or next steps in troubleshooting the issue?

Thanks.

Bill

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 spl - new starter solenoid rapidly clicking when hooked to starter

Normally when the solenoid just clicks rapidly it's due to lack of power from the battery.

The battery may read out 12volt when not under load but if you have some internal error in it, it could drop all the way down to the 2.5 volt you have when it's under heavy load as it is when the starter is engaged. This can explain why it works with the starter off. When the magnet can't hold you will not draw any power so the battery again gain it's 12 volt and then it starts all over making the rapid clicks.

You could perhaps try another fully charged battery and see if there is any difference or try jumper cables with your cars battery.

The 2 big poles on the solenoid only has one purposes and that is to transport a huge power from the battery to your starter.
The small cable attached to the solenoid is for engaging the magnet coil inside to pull down a copper contact plate that is establishing the contact between the large poles.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You certainly went to a lot of un-necessary work to find a cranking problem.

I agree, have the battery load tested. Many places like Auto-Zone will do it free. If it is good, find the problem with the battery cables. You have a bad connection or a cable that is corroded almost through. Do you know how to do a voltage-drop test across individual parts? That's how you find the offending culprit.

Battery cables sometimes develop a hard non-conductive corrosion at the connection. Don't just look at them, clean them shiny bright with sandpaper, a terminal brush, or whatever.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '96 88 SPL, that I've been having a hard time getting to turn over. l

Bill, you had the post about the trim motor wire shorting out correct? Given that issue it sounds like you fried something somewhere. Start from the battery. Remove the cables at the posts and put a 10 amp charge overnight. When its fully charged take it down to the local shop and have them run a load test on it. It should only cost a couple of bucks.

You may be draining the battery with the repair you did on the wiring for the trim motor.

hurbold29

Cadet

I tried the 2 engine batteries, and the trolling motor battery, all yielding the same results. I decided to check the solenoid connections again, and switched the stacking order of the battery cable and electrical connections that go the the rectifier, and it wants to fire up now. I've got the other two batteries on the chargers right now, and will try them again once they're at 100%. If they don't work, I'll replace them.

Thanks, Zymox!

Bill

hurbold29

Cadet

F_R,

Yeah, I cleaned all the cables with sandpaper and I've worked more with the multimeter these last couple of days than I ever thought I would. Voltage drop test specific to the Clymer manual was going to be next, but the solenoid seemed obviously bad my connections needed cleaning, so I started there, before the voltage drop test. I've never done one before, and this electrical stuff is pretty new to me, obviously. Thanks for the advice.

Gun Dog,

Good eye. Interestingly, this thing has seemed to be eating batteries for the last several months. Once I reran that ground, thereby fixing the trim motor, I left a battery connected overnight with the battery switch on, which would have nearly drained the battery previously. There was no voltage drop when I checked it out this morning/today, so I think that been fixed as a byproduct of running the ground anew. As an aside, I did fry the rectifier a few months ago - probably as a result of hooking up batteries incorrectly - but I've since replaced it.

I think most of this has been the result of using the boat in saltwater for a couple of months, when it has been previously used in freshwater only. I've been looking at pointers to keep my motor running well, and everything corrosion-free. Saltwater and salt air are new to me, with regard to this boat.

Once I pull the batteries off the chargers, I'll get them load tested.

Thanks sincerely for the help, folks.

Bill

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

This gets a little more interesting with each of your posts. Fried rectifier, batteries hooked up incorrectly. You'll need to work back from the battery and the ignition until you get to the source. Time consuming but at this point no choice.

The saltwater use is not the issue. You'll need to account for that and install some anodes. Freshwater rinse after use.

hurbold29

Cadet

I've gone back through everything, and it checks out great to me.

I started the engine a few minutes ago. Fired right up and everything's working as expected.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Bill