Evinrude Prop Removal

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all-

I have a 1984 Evinrude 115 V4. I bought it last year and i want to do some prop work, you know remove the prop, check the shaft, lube it and so on.I know they sell a prop removal wrench, but am not sure i need it. I have never removed one before so i am looking for some feedback. I do know i will have to remove and replace the cotter pin.

Thanks for your help.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude Prop Removal

prop wrench great to have on boat... so that you can easily replace prop should you break or damage main prop and have the need to switch to spare... prop wrenches often FLOAT try that with a ratchet or breaker bar :)

That said at home i use a ratchet with a 6 point socket..... I usually recommend that you replace cotter pin when used and make sure to use a stainless steel one.... that said I am guilty of reusing cotter pins on my own outboards.

Prop should simply pull off when cotter pin removed from prop nut, and prop nut removed from shaft if not Gently move to firmer methods... DO NOT STRIKE WITH A HAMMER (others may disagree with my opinions... they may be right)

oops the ultrasonic cleaner stopped back to the carb rebuild I was working on

Sean