Water in Gear Oil--Only the top???

kneedragger

Seaman
'94 Alpha one gen II outdrive, i bought used about 3 years ago, and have put about 40 hours on it in that timeframe. This summer I developed a leak into the hull and bilge area from outdrive. I can see it running in the bottom of my outdrive area, and it is worse when the drive is tilted up. I said, well it probably ready for a bellows kit. I had checked for water in the gear oil at the beggining of last season,(took out the lower drain plug screw) and it was fine. I decide to drain the gear oil because I know I will break the seal of the remote gear oil level indicator to preform the bellow kit.

the oil starts draining, and it is fine, untill about a half a quart drains, and then it gets milky with water. Now why would water be in the upper regions of my gear case and not in the lower?? I know water is heavier than oil.... Could it have gotten into the gearcase up top as a result of my leak? The water level did get high( about up to midway of the oil pan, but no water in the motor) one night without the bilge pump kicking on.

I am a DIY and do have the tools to perform a pressure test. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in Gear Oil--Only the top???

My guess is the ujoint bellows is damaged and water is getting into the bellows. From there, there is a hole in the trandsom shield, that lets water in so you see you have a problem. The input shaft seal in the upper is allowing water into the drive. It was designed to keep oil in, the bellows is supposed to keep the water out.
Pull the outdrive off, and look for water in the bellows.

Last edited:

kneedragger

Seaman

My guess is the ujoint bellows is damaged and water is getting into the bellows. From there, there is a hole in the trandsom shield, that lets water in so you see you have a problem. The input shaft seal in the upper is allowing water into the drive. It wasn't designed to keep oil in, the bellows is supposed to keep the water out.
Pull the outdrive off, and look for water in the bellows.

Thanks Don S.!! Therefore, if the bellows is replaced, and sealed, it should resolve this issue.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Don S.!! Therefore, if the bellows is replaced, and sealed, it should resolve this issue.

Ayuh,... Don's typo needs fixin'...
It was designed to keep oil in, the bellows is supposed to keep the water out.

Ya need to pull the drive to see what's wrong...
If it's leakin' water into the drive, it's also leakin' oil out....
The Seal, will need changin' out too....
Also, the shaft is usually bad at the seal interface...

kneedragger

Seaman

Ya need to pull the drive to see what's wrong...
I intend to.

However, this statement I am confused with..."Also, the shaft is usually bad at the seal interface..."

Therefore the input shaft seal is potentially bad from Don S's post above, but is the Shaft itself bad based upon comment above?

Thanks in advance

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

From what I understand, that seal can wear a grove into the into the shaft and compromise the seal. That grove can rust and will keep eating seals. So when replacing the seal check the shaft for wear. To get that shaft out, I believe you need some specialized tools and and replacing it can be equally complicated.

.....Ken

ziggy

Admiral

that seal can wear a grove into the into the shaft and compromise the seal. That grove can rust and will keep eating seals. So when replacing the seal check the shaft for wear.
yep, like this...

IMG_2640.jpg

granted this is from a mc-1 drive. but it'll get the idea across..

kneedragger

Seaman

Ziggy,

Thanks a photo is worth a thousand words. I need to do more reasearch about the special tools Quartermasters mentions above, and this particular seal in the manual. I will follow up with any further questions. Thanks to you all for your help.