Racorr vs Sierra Fuel water separators

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi- Deciding what F/W separator to put on 1972 140 hp mercruiser ,specifically what GPH rating and Racor vs Sierra . Read the article from Feb 04 Trailerboat mag which says you can buy a Merc Bracket and use either Racor or Sierra filters , but if you get the Racor bracket you are stuck using only the much more expensive Racor filters . Talked with local West Marine and a couple other places and they didn't know what I was talking about . Wondering with a motor that old is the Racor overkill ? But do plan to add a newer kicker running through the filter however .- Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Racorr vs Sierra Fuel water separators

Talked with local West Marine and a couple other places and they didn't know what I was talking about .

Ayuh,... I'm Shocked,... Shocked I tell ya,... :rolleyes:

Get the Sierra or Merc housing, 'n put 3/8" hose barbs on it, 'n install it....
Merc, Sierra, 'n Napa carry the filters, 'n they're fairly inexpensive...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

http://www.iboats.com/Water-Separat...08414382--**********.156292349--view_id.45101

The above works great on new engines too. Just use a good 10 or 20 micron element on a carbed engine. As far as the sales force in some of those stores, you ask them the price, or where something is and that's about it, They have no clue about what they are selling in about 90% of the cases.

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys . Still wondering though if Racor are worth the extra price and if I need to worry about GPH ratings . The guy at our local marine shop ( Cooks , in Portland OR ) said I should buy the more expensive higher GPH rated Racor vs the lower rated GPH Racor for this engine . Should I be ignoring his sales advice ? Thanks again

GA_Boater

Ayuh,... I'm Shocked,... Shocked I tell ya,... :rolleyes:

Bond-o, Did you just happen to watch "Casablanca" by any chance? LOL

muskrat, Get which ever one matches your 140's fuel flow best.

Last edited:

Don S

The filters I linked to earlier work fine with the 7.4's, doubt your 3.0L/140 will cause a problem with flow rate.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks guys . Still wondering though if Racor are worth the extra price and if I need to worry about GPH ratings . The guy at our local marine shop ( Cooks , in Portland OR ) said I should buy the more expensive higher GPH rated Racor vs the lower rated GPH Racor for this engine . Should I be ignoring his sales advice ? Thanks again

Ayuh,... Save yer money for Gas....