Mercury Mark 7 Top Cylinder

Does anyone know which coil....in this two coil two cylinder system would be assigned to the top cyl. ?? :facepalm: The engine is a 1954 Mercury Mark 7 7.5 hp serial number 759821. I got the engine and the ignition system was in pieces and now I'm trying to put it all back together and need to know how to determine which coil/plug wire goes to the top cyl. etc. I have new coils, new breakers, new condensers and plug wires.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...I have looked at an exploded view of the ignition system but can't determine left/right or front/back...Help ! :confused:

merc850

Commander
Re: Mercury Mark 7 Top Cylinder

Put a pencil in the top cylinder and rotate the flywheel clockwise until the piston moves up to TDC, the coil that sparks near this position is the Nr. 1 cylinder one.

"merc850"......If I apply this method, will the points that are closed or the ones that are open be the ones that are sending the current to the #1 plug since there are two points breakers.? :confused:

merc850

Commander

The points that are opening, you'll be able to see the hi point of the cam touching the point arm.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Pretty sure it holds true that the forward coil fires the top cylinder...