Dealer relationship questions

pfunk42

Cadet
I've been hunting for a new boat for a while, it would be a new inboard ski boat. My budget is mostly in the used market, but have potentially thought about stretching it to a new one. I've been doing my own hunting online, and also working with my local dealer to see what used ones he has coming in, work up some quotes on new in case I decide to go that way, etc. I found a listing of a new leftover that I might be interested in at a dealer who is a couple hours away, longer than I'd want to go for maintenance. Most regular maintenance I do myself, but still need someone for warranty work, or things beyond my ability. I don't necessarily just want to drop my local dealer and buy the boat at the other dealer and potentially hurt the relationship. At the same time, that might be the best deal for me and I might not want to miss out just because of that issue.

What do you do in this situation? Just go to the other dealer for the boat, then show up at the local one when there's maintenance and hope they're professional about it? Do they have some ability to work together on the sale such that they can both make out? Both are dealers for the same brand of boat and probably already have some level of relationship, but I wouldn't know what. I know a lot of it would be dealer specific, just looking for opinions.

cobaltboats

Cadet
Re: Dealer relationship questions

I would explain this to the dealer in your area and see if they can sweeten a deal. I had a similar situation when I purchased my most recent cobalt this last fall. I was prepared to drive several hours away to get a left over model. I had my local dealer work up a current price and I low balled them. I explained I would rather buy from the dealer nearby if price was comparable. The dealer nearby would have no choice but to service whatever boat, but I would try to work them first before going out of your area. If the money difference is a great amount then it is worth buying the boat elsewhere. The big question- is the dealer in your area the only dealer that can service your new boat? my 2 cents.

Philster

Captain

Find out if someone is dispatched for service. if you buy a boat that needs attention under warranty it usually doesn't work like a car dealer. If you have a new Merc engine and she grumbles, they might dispatch a local Merc tech.

cyclops2

Banned

I honestly never read how any type of boat or motor hull problem would be handled by who or where on my 2002 new Chaparral. If I had a problem with the dealer, & I did. He replaced a part without any permission, then gave me the bill. GONE. Dealers were TOO far away. 1.3 hour drive.

Mechanical parts are all under each companies warrenty.

I want GOOD work done the first time. Not support a bunch of freeloaders right up to the CEO of the boat company.

Get the BEST Marina FIRST. Then have them work out a price for the boat you can live with. Or buy the best price anywhere & have the work done at your marina with the boat company OK ing YOUR MARINA. Did that with Chaparral. NO boat company wants to lose a sale over who does warrenty work. Ask a couple of them.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

It's the Wednesday before Labor Day weekend and your rig takes a crap. So do 2 others that were purchased at the dealership. Yours was purchased at another dealer hundreds of miles away. Guess whose boat gets priority?

cyclops2

Banned

" The guy who says is it worth a extra $50 to do mine first ? "
Worked for me 2 X in 50 years of boating.

Catchad81

Cadet

I was in the same boat, so to speak. Found a great deal on a new boat at a dealer a good ways away at a price the local dealer would not get anyway closer too even after shipping expenses...except on a smaller boat. In fact, the local dealer tried to stop the sale. Anyway, to make a long story short, the local dealer told me I'd be a "tier 3" service customer, and I thought thats ok, since the way they tried to stop the deal brought out their true colors in my mind so I don't plan to visit.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

It does not matter where or how i choose to buy my boat, the dealer i choose to service and repair will do just that, i am the customer paying the bill and if he wants to get more work from me then he will do good work each and every time. that is how repeat business and referrals work and its how these guys stay in business and earn their reputations.

water world

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You shouldn't have a problem having warranty work done on the power train. If it is a mercury product find your local dealer he has to do warranty work it is part of dealer contract. The same goes for all brands. Don't hesitate to call customer relations. Some manufactures even give dealer extr money for not being selling dealer.

Been in the marine service over 35 years and fixed many boats from dealer not sold by selling dealer.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Okay, the boat business is not the car business. Boat dealers cannot move'em for $100 over cost. Boat dealers have type of expenses as a car dealer, but the boat sales season is generally from March until August. A car dealer may sell 1000 cars per year, where a good boat dealer's doing good to sell 100 per year. Boat dealers cannot hire employees for 6 months out of the year, and put'em on unemployment for the other 6 months.

Good quality boat dealerships are few and far between, and driving a couple of hours is no big deal for warranty work. The last three years has been more than terrible in the marine business. The trick is finding a good independent boat shop for routine yearly maintenance--or do the maintenance yourself.

I prefer to deal with a boat dealer that's going to be in business next year, and one that's been in business a generation or two. They know their cost of doing business, and are going to be more expensive.
I hope you're a serious full time skier, wake boarder or tuber if you're wanting an inboard boat, like a Moomba, Ski Nautique, Mastercraft or a Ski Supreme. These are special use boats, and they require special owners. They're fuel efficient, last a long time (even generations), but they're certainly not pleasurable rides. When you stop, the water almost comes over the sides on a wavy day. Most people cannot properly dock them, as they handle poorly at idle. But their biggest drawback is price--often going over $100K for the larger new boat.

Unless you're a very experienced boater/skier, you might be best served starting with a good used inboard ski boat. We often see good inboards from $6K to $8K in our area. See if it suits your needs, and you can sell it for what you paid for it in a couple of years. Then, step up to a much newer model ski boat.

204 Escape

Ensign

Well, our dealership where we bought both of our boats is 1.75 hours away. The dealership is right on the lake we go to as well. The back room, does an excellant job on boat problems, PLUS their service/information/deals on the sales floor is good as well.

Yeah, I wish they were closer. BUT, another dealership closer to me, has a bad reputation, so I didn't go there. (I've seen some of the work, etc).