this doesn't look right...

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me why my outdrive might be spitting water out the side like this? I'm wondering if the water intake hose is loose...

TIA!

PC040176.JPG

PC040177.JPG

1976 OMC Stringer

southkogs

Staff member
Re: this doesn't look right...

I might be wrong, but's the (roughly) area my drive releases the "tell tale" stream (yours is a little newer). Is your drive overheating?

You can try greasing those fittings and see if that stops it - or in my case, slows it down.

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

no overheating issues...stays at 165*

I just don't remember it peeing like that before, it would splash up at the top but this is different. I think there is a hose on the right side that supplies water to the motor and thought maybe the hose could be loose...

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Like southKogs said that could be the tell tale stream (I have a 77) and mine does not do that, but I have seen that it the manual for some models.

I know on mine there are O'rings inside those pivot points, maybe check those and also grease them up so see if that stops it.

Edit - after looking at that first pic, it looks like the water is streaming out right behind that black bumper in the middle, that makes me think that maybe your greease fitting has failed and is lettign water out, either that or you have 1 of the 2 bolts loose which is letting the water out, pop that black bumper off and see where it is coming from.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, that's where the tell-tale stream comes out on either side. Our 1975 225 OMC looks about the same. As I remember, there's a gasket or o-ring under that plate. You've got a larger stream than I remember, too. I'll have to look at mine tonight - it's laying in the garage along with the rest of the outdrive waiting for new seals and ball gears. I also have the service manual. You might want to check to see if the o-ring/gasket is gone. Later.

Ron

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks All! I spoke to the marine service shop that serviced the outdrive while the boat was dry docked and they say it should stream like that...when I commented that I didn't notice it before they said the hole could have had trash/dirt in it...guess its plausable.

motor runs at a steady 165* so I guess I will keep an eye on it and see what happens!

Ron if you can take a look at yours and let me know that would be great! just for reassurance, lol!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

maybe that's normal
doesn't look right to me. water coming out of the steering bumper?
that rubber bumper just pops off so you can run it without and see where the water comes from.

my guess is a couple of broken bolts on the water director. or the oring isn't in there, or it's cut., but no sense in guessing.... pop the rubber cap off and watch

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I never saw that before!!
Check it out like Howard says.J

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Gonna try and check it out today...will post what I find out.

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seems to me that the outside cap is leaking and it just happens to be coming out behind the bumper.
once the bumper is removed, you should have a better view of where the water is coming from.
it's not supposed to come from there, as that is where the engine gets it's cooling supply...thru the trunnions. (simplified...impeller -> trunnion -> hose -> engine)
but, my $0.02 is no, it's not supposed to come out there.

doral1985

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like a broken "o" ring on the pivots, they wear and crack and sometimes disappear, they seal the water travel to the engine, there is another flat washer, looks like a water hose washer that could be gone too. easy fix.

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

anyone have an exploded diagram showing the part breakdown?

Thanks!

doral1985

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Edit: removed email addy - QC

Please arrange by PM. This is to help protect you as well. If you wonder why, Google any phrase in this thread
;)

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got back to this. A page from the owners manual shows the water exit locations, and the pivot caps are shown. See the parts diagram and list. There is an o-ring, a gasket, and a spacer plate under the pivot caps. Mine are mostly submerged when at idle, so I can't see the streams unless I'm on plane, or running it in a tub in the driveway. Hope this helps. Hope I get mine going again in 2012.

Attachments

• 225 OMC 004.jpg
    225 OMC 004.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 225 OMC 002.jpg
    225 OMC 002.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 225 OMC 003.jpg
    225 OMC 003.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0