Help with Carburater

anewlife1

Cadet
I have a 1987 Force 85HP and I have asked several questions on here and I really appreciate everyone's help but I still have issues. Our latest attempt to rebuild the carbs did not go as planned. The initial problem was we rebuilt the bottom carb and gas came out of the vent holes on the middle and top carbs so based on what I learned on this forum we replaced the needle and seat on the other two. We hooked them back up only to realize that gas still came out of the vents.

Here's the question, when we replaced the seats, we noticed that one side of the seat has small grooves and the other side is flat. Does it matter how this is put together? We put the flat side down and then the retaining ring.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Again I really appreciate the feedback!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with Carburater

Unfortunatly the replacement parts that are available don't usually work.
Post some pics of the old and new parts.
It's possible the floats are out of adjustment.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It USUALLY will work either way, BUT the correct way is the set the rubber seat in so the groove is up---facing the needle. This allows the needle to seat further into the rubber and exert more sealing pressure. You must have the small washer under the brass seat assembly and you must fully tighten the brass seat into the casting. HOWEVER: After replacing the seats and needles you MUST reset the float level. With the carb inverted and the fuel bowl off the float must be level, or parallel with the carb casting. If it is not, you bend the brass tab that contacts the needle until float level is correct. I find the easiest way to do this is to wedge a small screwdriver into the gap and twist a bit--either up or down. Next, with the carb upright, if needed, bend the back stop tab so that the float drops but does not touch the brass high speed jet

anewlife1

Cadet

I really appreciate the Help, but still having issues. We did everything that was suggested but gas still comes out the vents even though we can blow thru the carb and the needle will not allow anything to come out, so something must be seating, but gas will come right out after pumping the ball and the ball is nowhere near hard. Do you have any other suggestions? I appreciate the help

Brian

anewlife1

Cadet

To Everyone, carbs are fixed thanks for everyone's help and manual was very useful as we had the float spring in upside down guess we should have looked closer when we took them apart. Thanks again